cz 557 glass bedding

pj1

WP_20170418_19_15_39_Pro.jpgWP_20170418_19_15_58_Pro.jpgWP_20170418_19_51_55_Pro.jpg

Hi all. i have a cz 557 in 308.

it shoots well but the first shot is always off from the rest of the group. so i took the action out of the stock to have a look. there is quite a bit of lateral movement on the rear screw (tang). at the front it rocks on the metal recoil plate (if thats what its called) or just behind on the number 2.

two questions if i may.

1 should the metal plate sit high enough so that the action sits on it.

2 would lowering the plate and bedding the action be a good thing to do.

Cheers Pete

I don't know about the bedding I am afraid. That been said, have you tried shooting a group with breaks between shots so it's a cold barrel each time? You may find that the first cold bore shot is just that, a cold bore shot. If you fire 3 cold bore shots they should all be in the same group.
How much shift you getting?

Lowering the plate might not be needed if the barrel/action is in the correct position vs barrel channel.
I would certainly bed the action, maybe even a full length bedding of the action but no part of the barrel bedded. I'd also bed the bottom metal, at least front and back.
edi

should say the plate is loose if that makes any difference

and this is how much shift i get
WP_20170421_19_55_32_Pro.jpg

ignore the ragged holes on the right. was playing with the fac air rifle

Looks like it groups well. You sure it's not just because it's clean and or cold that it does that off shot?

It may well be just that butbit takes all my confidence away for an accurate first shot. Maybe I need to not clean it every time.

I always regard the first shot from a freshly cleaned barrel to be a fouling round and then shoot the rest of a group from then, ignoring the first shot.

Ok so I guess this asks the question of what do you do cleaning wise after each outing. Just push a dry patch through or an oiled one or one with a cleaning solvent on etc etc

There is so much BS about first shot out of a cold barrel!

Every rifle I own will clover leave from a cold barrel. Many years ago they didn't though but then I learnt some very basic principles about making and keeping an accurate rifle, so . . .

1 - Lets assume your ammunition is perfect and accurate stuff.

2 - Lets assume the rifle (that includes the crown) and sighting system is in good condition.

3 - The action needs to bed to the stock firmly, exactly and with repeatability - so that generally means bedding it (correctly) unless using a stock with a high grade aluminium bedding block. With a properly bedded action the barrel needs to be free floating as well (this is a modern invention but it works).

4 - A reasonable trigger that breaks evenly, say 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 lbs. That's not some expensive bejazzled match trigger that breaks at half a pound!

5 - Cleaning regime. Don't mother it! Deep clean the entire rifle which includes the bore (decoppering) every 100 rounds or so, maybe less if you want or you feel the accuracy is slipping or maybe more. Once the rifle is accurate you'll know when.
IMPORTANT: Don't leave oil or any cleaning stuff residue in the barrel, wipe it out until clear.

Then all you need to do when you've used the rifle is ensure it is dry, wipe it down and all the parts with a lightly (and I mean lightly) oiled cloth and pull a clean dry (that means not oily!) bore snake carefully through the barrel a couple of times.
Before using the bore snake I occasionally especially when damp clean the chamber with a .410 shotgun mop (again, not oily!).

EDIT: Just occasionally I also use a second .410 mop with a lightly oiled cloth wrapped around the mop first - then the clean dry mop.

I do this every time I've taken a rifle out shooting irrespective of being fired or not (that doesn't mean every time I take a rifle out of the cabinet to drool over it!)

6. Go shooting and you might be surprised! Oh yes, just one other thing . . . when I take the rifle out of the cabinet to go shooting I pull the dry and clean bore snake through it. I don't know why, just habit.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. Ive watched the first video and it's very informative, thank you also for the cleaning advice. The cz is only my second brand new gun so I thought I would religiously clean the barrel bug maybe that's too much

Thank you for the replies. Ive watched the first video and it's very informative, thank you also for the cleaning advice. The cz is only my second brand new gun so I thought I would religiously clean the barrel bug maybe that's too much

Watch the second video and you'll understand what you need to do.

Yes will do just ran out of time yesterday. Just as a point of interest I have a weihrauch hw 60 j in .22 hornet. It shoots extremely well but I though I would have a look at the stock fit / bedding in there. It is so well made I'm not sure I could even get any bedding material in there. Will try and post some pics when I get the chance

Back