posting expanding projectiles from May

CWMMAN3738

my FEO recently informed me that from May expanding components will be able to be posted due to the recent change in the law dose anyone know the exact implementation date & procedure as he didnt yet know the details?

my FEO recently informed me that from May expanding components will be able to be posted due to the recent change in the law dose anyone know the exact implementation date & procedure as he didnt yet know the details?

It will become legal to post them but what will the carriers say? they might decide to keep them on the restricted list, dont count your chickens!

the postmaster in oxfordshire says no problem more business for them and they will send from 2/5/17 no problem.

It will become legal to post them but what will the carriers say? they might decide to keep them on the restricted list, dont count your chickens!

Bullets aren't on a restricted list, post office list has ammunition on it not bullets

I assume no one carried expanding bullets before with them being section 5 but once they are unclassified and not subject to laws until they are loaded into live rounds then they aren't on the post office list

Have clarified this with my local post office and they agreed with that interpretation so until I hear otherwise I will post surplus once sold from the 2nd

At the risk of sounding dim.... Correction; because I am dim, does this mean there are no longer any restrictions on the amount of either bullets or complete rounds that can be purchased and held? I'm not intending to build up a giant cache, but would like to hold a few different boxes of bullets for reloading.

At the risk of sounding dim.... Correction; because I am dim, does this mean there are no longer any restrictions on the amount of either bullets or complete rounds that can be purchased and held? I'm not intending to build up a giant cache, but would like to hold a few different boxes of bullets for reloading.

My flo told me today on my renewal visit that I can hold any amount of bullets as they are only interested In made up rounds as long as you don't load over your entitlement .... so yes you can....

When people make up a batch of homeloads do they just self insert the quantity on to their FAC and sign?

When people make up a batch of homeloads do they just self insert the quantity on to their FAC and sign?

No requirement to enter anything on your FAC - you are not transferring or selling them to yourself.

Some FEOs appear to have funny ideas about this, and it has been reported previously on the forum that they have requested homeloads are entered, but there is no requirement to do so.

I've had virtually nothing entered in the ammo section of my FAC for years except .22LR, 12b slugs and (very occasionally) the odd box of expanding bullets bought in the UK - nearly all I've bought to date have come from abroad and therefore not been entered.

And before it comes up - entries do not provided 'evidence' of use of a firearm for FAC renewal purposes, and neither is it needed to satisfy 'good reason' for continued possession.

Last edited:
Perfect replies thank you. It's what I've been doing and what I though but this thread made me question my logic. I've been buying my Interbonds in the US for 5 years - just a shame Hornady have now stopped making them.

Lets see what the Barnes do.....

Regards,

Tom.

No requirement to enter anything on your FAC - you are not transferring or selling them to yourself.

Some FEOs appear to have funny ideas about this, and it has been reported previously on the forum that they have requested homeloads are entered, but there is no requirement to do so.

I've had virtually nothing entered in the ammo section of my FAC for years except .22LR, 12b slugs and (very occasionally) the odd box of expanding bullets bought in the UK - nearly all I've bought to date have come from abroad and therefore not been entered.

And before it comes up - entries do not provided 'evidence' of use of a firearm for FAC renewal purposes, and neither is it needed to satisfy 'good reason' for continued possession.

Ok.....my father was advised to go buy box of ammo as nothing on his cert ....
So if FEO starts to stipulate stuff must be inserted in the table on your certificate....

How do I substantiate all of what you've just said ?

I'm not doubting you but I can't just say because this guy Orion says so .....

Which legislation or act can you quote ?

Paul

Which legislation or act can you quote ?

Start with the Home Office Guidance which they should be working to:

10.59 According to section 27(3) of the 1968 Firearms Act, the test for renewal of a firearm
certificate is the same as the test for the grant, i.e. the test in section 27(1).

Which leads us to the primary legislation in the Firearms Act 1968 at S.27:

(3)This section applies to the renewal of a firearm certificate as it applies to a grant.

viz

(1)A firearm certificate shall be granted where the chief officer of police is satisfied —

(a)that the applicant is fit to be entrusted with a firearm to which section 1 of this Act applies and is not a person prohibited by this Act from possessing such a firearm;

(b)that he has a good reason for having in his possession, or for purchasing or acquiring, the firearm or ammunition in respect of which the application is made; and

(c)that in all the circumstances the applicant can be permitted to have the firearm or ammunition in his possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/27

When you first apply for a firearm certificate you will have to provide the 'good reason' for the firearm as stated above, which may include some of the following (from HOG 13.4)

i. a request for written authorities where relevant (and possible).
ii. verification of the likelihood of the quarry species being present.
iii. the suitability of land for the firearms requested commensurate with the
applicant’s experience.
iv. their authority to shoot on the land; and,
v. in the case of target shooters: verification of club membership and shooting activities.
vi. in the case of collectors: activity, including academic research, membership of
recognised bodies etc.

Nothing there about how much ammo you've been using or whether or not there are entries in the ammo section of your expiring FAC etc. etc.

However, it will always be advisable to be able to discuss your usage of your firearms with the FEO at renewal time because they will be looking at it as mentioned in HOG 10.62:

Applications for renewal provide the opportunity for reviewing the circumstances of each
case and the extent to which the provisions of the Act have been complied with by the
holder of the certificate and by persons supplying them with firearms and ammunition.
If the applicant’s circumstances have changed materially since the original grant or last
renewal, for example in their opportunities to use their firearms, special care will need to be
taken to ensure that the applicant still satisfies all criteria for the possession of firearms and
ammunition. These matters can be discussed and/or reviewed by phone/email or during
a personal visit, inspection or interview.

So, as finnbear270 says above, hanging on to some receipts for reloading supplies isn't a bad idea should they want to see something, but an entry on an FAC for ammo actually proves what? That someone can write? Because it certainly doesn't serve as evidence of use of a firearm.

If an FEO gets a bit wound up about the subject I suggest the solution would be as someone suggested on here a while back - show them a box of spent primers as 'proof' of use! :D

Last edited:
Cheers !

So basically there isn't anything in writing saying ammo must be written as proof of useage in the guidance?

I always wondered how much they follow and how much they make up

Paul

So basically there isn't anything in writing saying ammo must be written as proof of useage in the guidance?

Nope, and if it were in relation to home loading you'd think it would have pride of place in the relevant section at the end of HOG chapter 13 wouldn't you?

I always wondered how much they follow and how much they make up

Depends on the level of knowledge the applicant can demonstrate when faced with it I guess. ;)

Back