Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the sling to help stabilize your shot

Using the sling to help stabilize your shot

Sometimes when I am stalking a ride a beast will just step out further up. Now most of the time this happens when i am not ready, so getting the tripod sticks set up would be a waste of time! If the beast is within 60-80yards I will take my rifle off my shoulder and weave my non shooting arm (i am right handed so its my left arm) through the sling and back under again pulling the rifle tight to my shoulder. I find this quite stable and can happily shoot 1 1/2inch groups at 80 yards. Obviously try first on paper as it may not be for everyone but i personally find it a good technique when setting sticks up is not practical
    Last edited by mo; 27-07-2010 at 22:33.

mo,

agree that this can be done with some practice, may i ask however do you have a mod on your rifle.
    i for one will wait till the beast and i to meet on more favourable terms to me ha ha
    my wetherby 243 with pezz is just to heavy and waves like a witches wand when attempting anything like that.

frank

I have used a ching sling for years http://www.shottist.com/ching.htm classic theory suggests that you only get benifit from a sling if the forward elbow is supported, which means it is of little use when standing.
    ATB
    Matt

In that scenario you could also rest your left elbow on your hip biathlon style. This means the elbow is tucked in and supported.

I was shown this technique a few years back now at the local small bore rifle club for shooting from a prone position but have used it to good effect for standing shots in the field more so with my rimmy for rabbits but it certainely helps lock your forearm up and steady the shot well worth a bit of practice using it.
    Neil

I believe hand on hip is 'standing' where the other is 'off-hand' niether a good choice unless you are very close.
    Matt

For off hand with a sling the right type of sling is required. Sadly they are not that common here in the UK. I finally gave in and got a buddy in the US to get em a couple in trade for the P-H Sportarget rear sight I got for him. I now have two US pattern 1909 slings. I am now getting used to using one as there is a knack that's for sure. This is the sling that the British army supplied with the No4T Enfield. Parker-Hale also used to supply them.

There is a sort of modern version called the Ching sling I believe favoured by Col Cooper but I have never seen one or used one.

Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Sometimes when I am stalking a ride a beast will just step out further up. Now most of the time this happens when i am not ready, so getting the tripod sticks set up would be a waste of time! If the beast is within 60-80yards I will take my rifle off my shoulder and weave my non shooting arm (i am right handed so its my left arm) through the sling and back under again pulling the rifle tight to my shoulder. I find this quite stable and can happily shoot 1 1/2inch groups at 80 yards. Obviously try first on paper as it may not be for everyone but i personally find it a good technique when setting sticks up is not practical
    So why do you bother wrestling sticks when you can shoot 1.5" at 80 yards slung, off hand?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by matt458 View Post
    I have used a ching sling for years http://www.shottist.com/ching.htm classic theory suggests that you only get benifit from a sling if the forward elbow is supported, which means it is of little use when standing.
    ATB
    Matt
    Hmmmm Matt I suppose old Townsend Whelan didn't know what he was talking about then?

I shall practice with the sling and get it adjusted right for me. After all he not only hunted for sport but to live. There were no local stores where he went so if he didn't get the game he went hungry. He also always developed a light often cast bullet load for shooting small game for the pot. This load had to shoot within an 1" of his sight setting at 50-75 yards of the full power loads with no sight adjustment. Just a change of cartridge in the chamber.

Matt doesn't shoot off hand, I think. I have shot deer off hand at 100+ yards, regularly, and have killed them as far as 200 yards on occasion... but... I practice off hand shooting at least two days a week, winter and summer.

I have a 257 Roberts that I have loaded ala Whelen. I have a 117 grain Speer load for serious and a 72 grain cast bullet load for small game. An excellent combination. The 72 grain bullet shoots - 1/2" at 75 yards. It's an easy mental adjustment to make sure hits.~Muir