ruger m77 markII

I have the M77 Mark I in .243 with the stutzen stock, find it quite OK for an older gun (circa 1984 according to Ruger) 1" group or less at 100 yards.
Depends on the price you are willing to pay I suppose.

With the triggers sorted they are nice to shoot, the mount system is both good and bad, good in the sense its rock solid and bombproof, bad in that you are restricted to certain size scopes (or pay more for another set of rings)
They have very nice lines and as a classic stalker they are very pointable with good handling

Ive got an M77 mkII being rebarreled from 243 to 260rem at the moment. It was the lightweight mountain profile barrel which I didn't get on with, replaced the plastic stock to a laminate.
Very solid and reliable action, no frills but a good workhorse.

I have the 77 mk2 allweather it is a great gun and very accurate, more accurate than I am. It gets on well with a wide range of ammo even the ppu 150gr in the 308 clover leafs

what would their price range be in the UK?
It come included with a SCHMIDT BENDER 6X42 as per the pics
just from looking at it I like its simple straightforward no mucking about design. basic mauser action. I would like it in a slightly bigger cal. like a 243 so still thinking about it...
I like the idea of having it ... feels nice and fuzzy... :)

Last edited:
I have the Varmint variant in stainless and laminated stock, .223 cal.
Super reliable and very accurate with the right load.
As said, the mounts can be a source of annoyance but they do work very well (fit and forget)

just checked the data on the .223 cal and its only really good for small critters like foxes due to its limited stopping power... so that sucks. guess i will go back to waiting for something else.
pity cause I really liked it and the comments were all positive. but i cant have animals doing runners on me, its not right

Last edited:
Selling a nr mint mk 1 m77 .308 with 8x56 S&B (German) if it stopping power you are after .

My brother has a lovely MkII in Stainless/walnut 223 topped with a little compact Zeiss .it shoots 55gr SAKO & Federal ammo amazingly well .. It's he's go too rifle ....I don't like the tigger that much but that's personal taste ..

would a 223 be considered ok for roe in the UK? i generally only hunt boar though, (i wouldnt ever consider shooting one with a 223...). and we arent allowed to shoot foxes with rifles here except during montarias
it would have to be ridiculously cheap for me to buy a gun from the UK, i looked into a transaction once and the final cost made the whole deal unviable. though it is possible...

Last edited:
I think they're really good, and somewhat under-rated. We had a very under-used one - walnut stocked in 308, at the range I worked at last year. I quite often put customers on it - and surprised them with how much nicer it was to shoot than the $5k Barrett monstrosity sitting right next to it. Whenever I had a pocketful of spare 308 I'd put a few through it. Honestly, I don't know why they aren't more popular....

The Ruger M77 mk2 is bomb proof!

been shooting mine now for almost 10 years, once I've killed the barrel I'll rebarrel it!

A friend of mine had nothing else but a Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag for 30 years. Still has it. Shot everything: deer, wild boar, bear, moose. Been to Alaska, Africa, Montana. Never fails to kill with one shot.

I have the M77 MkII in 6.5x55 SWE, .30-06 and a tang safety in 7x64. I love the high polish blue and understated walnut stocks, nice size and balance, and shoot plenty well enough for hunting big game as far as the cartridges reach with enough energy.

I've got the stainless synthetic MK ii apart from the un adjustable trigger I really like it.
A trigger and thumbhole stock are on the cards to make a good rifle better,
Steve.

i have a what started life as an allweather needle barreled riflein 223 flavour , now its got a timney trigger, a boyds thumbhole fully bedded and a 1 in 8 20" lothar walther bull barrell about the diameter of a broom handle:eek: , its a heavy hoor but i love it if i do my part its genuinely a one hole rifle with factory tap 75grn stuff through to 55grn vmax
The ruger ring system is imho brilliant its a genuine return to O take off and on system .

can you shoot deer/goat in portugal with 223? they are used legally in scotland to shoot roe and muntjac and chinese water deer in england so could be very usefull and cheap to use.

Last edited:
Back