Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: primer signs of pressure

primer signs of pressure

hi guys
    does anyone here have good pictures of primers/cases that show signs of pressure?

would be really good to see for those who are still "finding their feet" with reloading

cheers

sauer / paul

I don't have the cases to photo, as they have been discarded after having reached their "potential", If my camera has managed to capture the requisite detail , you will see the shape of the old primers show a destinct able seamans cap look, & the others show completely destroyed anvils, & smooth very "flat" looking faces. where the smaller rifle primers still have a little amount of rounding on the face edges. hope this helps.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 28-07-2010 at 09:49.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sorry but it's impossible to judge pressure by primer appearance. Different makes or even batches cans vary in cup hardness which of course makes it impossible. Take two cartridges from the same box and fire them in different rifles and the primers appearance can be very different. There are simply too many varibles and if you believe that you can judge pressure from looking at primers then you only fooling your self and walking a very thin line. But of course if you wish to peer at fired primers that's entirely up to you.

Well said, Kev! Primers are one sign of possible pressure problems but not definitive.~Muir

I am in full agreement with your comments guys, just trying to fill a gap with an extra warning sign, used in conjunction with the appearance of other marks on the case head / base outside the web, the pics would have meant more with the primers still in situ, as they were just like a piece of bi-metal construction, absolutely zero pocket definition.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have some photos of primers after high pressure loadings and the resulting deformation of the base of the cartridge. I'll dig them up after work.~Muir

Andy, I thought we could rely on you to fill the gap!

I found this in the Lyman 47th Edition manual. I like these primer pics because the primer on the extreme right, to some people, looks flattened and excessive. The Primer on the extreme left is pierced, but note that the edges are round? As the text says, primer condition is only one bit of determining excessive pressures.~Muir
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pressure signs.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	686.0 KB 
ID:	2010

Oh dear ! The pit deepens Muir. Rounded used primers are usualy a good sign. What do you think might be going on here ?

I wonder if the same test rifle was used in all instances for the line of cases ? I wonder if the bolt firing pin in the case of the rounded but punctured primer was in fact a bit too long - or a bit on the sharp side ??

My wide bald patch grows wider.

Picture of can of worms needed again!