Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .375 for deer

.375 for deer

Has anyone ever been granted one for deer in the UK. I've just talked to my new FLO in Derbyshire to be told that I can have one no problem. But only for zeroing and use outside of the UK. I'd only be granted solid ammunition for it though and expanding would have to be bought abroad.

I concede that home office guidance say no, but has anyone ever been granted deer on any calibre larger than .30-06?
    Last edited by MJ75; 28-07-2010 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Has anyone ever been granted one for deer in the UK. I've just talked to my new FLO in Derbyshire to be told that I can have one no problem. But only for zeroing and use outside of the UK. I'd only be granted solid ammunition for it though and expanding would have to be bought abroad.

I concede that home office guidance say no, but has anyone ever been granted deer on any calibre larger than .30-06?
    yes my mate in Dorset has a 375 for deer in the Uk,but why on earth would someone want it is beyond me,a bit like not needing a custom rifle

Quote Originally Posted by long shot View Post
    yes my mate in Dorset has a 375 for deer in the Uk,but why on earth would someone want it is beyond me,a bit like not needing a custom rifle
    you must have the same FLO as me as my chap is new,nice fella even if he dosnt know anything about shooting

yes my mate in Dorset has a 375 for deer in the Uk,but why on earth would someone want it is beyond me
    Because, crazily, that's the only way you can acquire expanding ammo for it in the UK for zeroing.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Because, crazily, that's the only way you can acquire expanding ammo for it in the UK for zeroing.
    good point,but cant they condition it for zeroing on ranges only ???

A mate had one on his ticket passed for deer. He took it with him when he emigrated to NZ.

I know a couple of stalkers that have 9.3's on their tickets passed for deer. They are both long standing RFD's and time served gunsmiths of many years experience.

I've got one for deer and boar in the uk.

WD

good point,but cant they condition it for zeroing on ranges only ???
    Yes. But whats the point in zeroing it with ammunition you won't be using for live quarry? Or do your custom rifles shoot all different types and weights of ammo the same? I might be interested if they do, would save time after all.....

Yes. But whats the point in zeroing it with ammunition you won't be using for live quarry? Or do your custom rifles shoot all different types and weights of ammo the same? I might be interested if they do, would save time after all.....
    funny you should say that my 6mm does,my point is if you cant get deer condition for a 375 you may be able to get the expanding ammo condition just to use on a range to test before going over seas to shoot the 375,
    are you planning a trip abroad ??

Yes. I have an unbeatable deal sorted for SA. Hence me thinking of buying ny own rather than using the estate rifles.