Hello from Aberdeenshire

Wapinschaw

Hi everyone,

I have lurked and dipped in and out for a while, decided I like the content and tone so here I am. I am based in Aberdeenshire, about 30 miles north of Aberdeen itself. I am an active target shooter, and have been stalking roe with varying degrees of sucess for a number of years. I hold DSC Level 1, and currently have a woodland permission near Inverurie. My background is in aircraft maintenance although I now work in the oil & gas support industry.

My interests include dogs, in particular Labradors. I have tried a couple of game bird syndicate seasons but it's not for me, I much prefer rifles to shotguns and the formalities and control of a sporting bird day don't appeal. My current stalking rifle is a Tikka 595 in .243 Winchester, I have just bought another in 6.5 x 55 Swedish for range use and hopefully some of the bigger deer. I have a 1916 Carl Gustav Swedish Model 1898 Mauser in this calibre that I shoot in vintage/classic military rifle competition, I appreciate the lack of recoil and accuracy.

Nice to be on board, it will be interesting to hear from anyone in this neck of the woods.

cheers

Martin

welcome aboard martin i do alot or stalking around your neck of the woods from crathie right up to banchory mainly roe but some or my ground has reds on it.

gadget.

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I'm not a bowler. I have tried 10 pin once or twice, it's a fun night out with the troops from work but that's the extent of my experience.

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome.

Been up to Aberdeenshire a good few times after Geese and there seems to be plenty good Roe in your area.

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I'm not a bowler. I have tried 10 pin once or twice, it's a fun night out with the troops from work but that's the extent of my experience.

Martin
Just wondered, wappenshaw is a lawn bowling term. I see from google your spelling is shooting related, Jim

Hi Martin,

I am in the west end of Aberdeen and stalk in the Shire near Alford and Banchory. Rather nice to have a few SD members in this neck of the woods.

Are you in the Aberdeen Full Bore club and if so will no doubt meet up at Drums ?

Donsider

Hi Martin, welcome to the site.
We may have met as I have shot the Classic rifle event at the Blsck Dog range. It sounds as if we have similar interests.
ATB

Hi Jim,

Yes, it is a very old term related to martial skills in Scotland. It was adopted in 1862 for a revival of the tradition of the Wapinschaw, the weapons showing of the Middle Ages. The event is still held annually at Black Dog range just north of Aberdeen, and is one of the oldest shooting competitions in the UK.

Martin

Hi dodgyrog,

I will be at the Consett event near Barnard Castle later this month, shooting Classic and Any rifle. Will you be around?

Martin

Hi Gareth,

My background is helicopters, I have been around BCal, Bristow (Abz and Redhill) and finally BIH/CHC. My last years in aviation were in development of HUMs, the airborne condition monitoring system integrated into the flight data recorder.

Hi Gareth,

My background is helicopters, I have been around BCal, Bristow (Abz and Redhill) and finally BIH/CHC. My last years in aviation were in development of HUMs, the airborne condition monitoring system integrated into the flight data recorder.

I'm currently with CHC albeit the Global side of things. Worked for Bristow in Kuwait a few years back.

Back