Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info required on 260 rem

info required on 260 rem

Hi i am looking at putting in a variation for a 260 rem as a separate lightweight stalking rifle, i have done a search on here and Google and came up with a bit of info.

What i want to know is the reloading side of it. I have read you can neck up 243 brass to .264" to except the 6.5 heads. What else is needed to do to the 243 brass as i may also change my 223 for 243 so i can use the 243 brass and possibly other reloading kit.

also what loads/heads work well on deer in this calibre

thanks Richard
    UK GUNWORKS customized 260 AI on a Remmy 700 Blue printed action, Border barrel 1/8 twist, McMillan Hunter stock, Third eye sound mod, 20MOA rail, Rings and bolt knob, Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50 scope

Have a word with Griff on here, Neil has done a bit, & knows a few others that have too.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Have a word with Griff on here, Neil has done a bit, & knows a few others that have too.
    just sent him a pm,

thanks
    UK GUNWORKS customized 260 AI on a Remmy 700 Blue printed action, Border barrel 1/8 twist, McMillan Hunter stock, Third eye sound mod, 20MOA rail, Rings and bolt knob, Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50 scope

Richard

I would recommend buying the best brass you can afford. Norma and Nosler both do 260 Rem brass. I use Remington brass, but I do have a box of Nosler hiding in the cupboard.

Midwayuk - 260 Remington

I am on my third 260 Rem since '99. One of the things to check out is magazine length. I have had a longer magazine fitted to my 260 to accommodate rounds measuring in excess of 2.800 inches.
    Midwayuk - Wyatt's Extended Magazine Box Remington 700 BDL Short Action
    The Mannlicher Pro-Hunter (second 260) has a nice long magazine, so OAL was never and issue.
    I like Hornady 129gr SP Interlock for deer and 140gr AMax and 142 gr Sierra Match Kings for practice. With the SMKs I had a 3 shot load test group at <0.5 inch at 155yds last night. I have used RL-19, N560 and N165 for loads. Tend to favour the N165 at the minute. I have posted some results elsewhere.

The pluses are, it's very nice and mild mannered to shoot. I had Grace fire her first ever round with a rifle with the Ruger (first 260) and she was within an inch of the bull.
    The minuses are factory ammo retails at ~40 a box and magazine length can impede what you want to do reloading wise.

Good luck.

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 28-07-2010 at 18:12. Reason: more details and correct the spelling.

[QUOTE=jcampbellsmith;121560]Richard

I would recommend buying the best brass you can afford. Norma and Nosler both do 260 Rem brass. I use Remington brass, but I do have a box of Nosler hiding in the cupboard.

Midwayuk - 260 Remington

I am on my third 260 Rem since '99. One of the things to check out is magazine length. I have had a longer magazine fitted to my 260 to accommodate rounds measuring in excess of 2.800 inches.
    Midwayuk - Wyatt's Extended Magazine Box Remington 700 BDL Short Action
    The Mannlicher Pro-Hunter (second 260) has a nice long magazine, so OAL was never and issue.
    I like Hornady 129gr SP Interlock for deer and 140gr AMax and 142 gr Sierra Match Kings for practice. With the SMKs I had a 3 shot load test group at <0.5 inch at 155yds last night. I have used RL-19, N560 and N165 for loads. Tend to favour the N165 at the minute. I have posted some results elsewhere.

The pluses are, it's very nice and mild mannered to shoot. I had Grace fire her first ever round with a rifle with the Ruger (first 260) and she was within an inch of the bull.
    The minuses are factory ammo retails at ~40 a box and magazine length can impede what you want to do reloading wise.

Good luck.

JCS[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info.

i am trying to find out what i can to do with the reloading as in the necking up the 243 brass, i already reload my 223 and 22 hornet so its fairly straight forward for me. i know i can neck it up and prob have to neck turn it to get rid of the doughnut on the neck from it.

as for makes of rifle not looked at any in particular, i have seen a few about so will look into them and what loads they could feed

thanks Richard

I'm using knecked up .243 cases from RWS in mine. with 139gr scenar and a max charge they are superbly accurate and consistent, I use the round for all my Roe, also use a accubond in sako .243 cases thats not quite as accurate, but still well under 1/2 MOA. Also tried remington brass and it wasn't all that bad at all. The factory 120gr balistic tip load from remington is very accurate in my rifle, but it is very very slow, I need 19 clicks ( 19x3=57cm drop) to be on at 300m. which is a good 3 clicks more than my damned .308win. and 5 clicks more than my 30-06 with the hornady light magnum 180gr btsp.

I have it on good authority that there is soon to be a german made factory "custom" ammo brand available in .260rem. a couple of offerings, a match load with the 139scenar, and a couple of hunting loads. Brass in lapua quality will also be available.

Pete

Buy the .260, Buy .260 cases .

Keep the .223 you won't need a .243 ! it can't do anything that the .260 can't do.

But the .260 do's it further flatter and with more terminal energy

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Buy the .260, Buy .260 cases .

Keep the .223 you won't need a .243 ! it can't do anything that the .260 can't do.

But the .260 do's it further flatter and with more terminal energy

I want the 243 for fox and deer and a separate lightweight stalking rifle in 260. I do a lot of long rang shooting so the 243 is better an if I'm out stalking I can stay out foxing with it then have a separate lightweight 260 for when stalking in the highlands and woodlands.
    new 260 brass is over 120 per 100 an 243 brass is half that price an I can use the same reloading kit for the 2 calibres

Last 100 cases .260 brass i bought was this year at Newark show 38 remington from Norman Clarke.
    What bullet weight are you shooting at long range in your .243 ?

If you intend to keep the 243, then I would definitely go for a different head stamp for the 260. Short of buying Nosler 260 brass, you should be able to pick up good quality once fired 7/08 brass and resize it with little or no drama.

The 243 and 260 just look to alike for my peace of mind....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......