Pedigree vital

rickyk270

I have noticed that the usual Pedigree Vital Chicken has now become Chicken and veg.

My dogs have started to have rather loose bowels and it seems to coincide with the change in the product, I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their dogs with the recent change in product?

Thanks in advance.
Richard

I wouldn't give my dogs that or any other poisonous garbage that's touted as Dog food.
you might want to do a bit of research into before buying the next bag of *****. ever wondered why cancers in domestic pets are on the increase at an alarming rate.

Feed it raw.. depending on dog size a rabbit is the greatest meal any dog could want, accompanied by a raw egg. I wouldnt eat that pedigree *****, so i wouldnt give it to my dog either

Feed it raw.. depending on dog size a rabbit is the greatest meal any dog could want, accompanied by a raw egg. I wouldnt eat that pedigree *****, so i wouldnt give it to my dog either

Pretty much near enough that, if I won't eat it the dogs won't get it lol, bit of veg with it and your good to go

I have noticed that the usual Pedigree Vital Chicken has now become Chicken and veg.

My dogs have started to have rather loose bowels and it seems to coincide with the change in the product, I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their dogs with the recent change in product?

Thanks in advance.
Richard

It's a complete dry food so I wouldn't be surprised that it has a vegetable content. Compare the nutritional info on each...... unsurprisingly it looks like it contains only 4% chicken.

I only use a small amount of dried food in the morning and always use grain-free. Otherwise I use Forthglade wet food (75% meat + rice and veg) or BARF with vegetables. To be honest, our dogs do equally well on the Forthglade as they do raw.

Have you looked at the

The Dog Food Directory - now listing 1805 dog foods!

comparison site? You get a good idea of what it is in the food from different makers. Wet,dry, raw.

We have gone onto the Akela brand products, VAT free working dog food. Feed Akela plus a raw pheasant leg or thigh or some venison trimmings.

Alan

As others above say, Pedrigree Chum is utter ****e, as is anything made by Purina. Packed out with rice and ash.
I also used to use solely Akela. Very good, but i changed the dogs onto RAW diet 6 months ago, and wont swap back.
The difference in the dogs teeth eating RAW compared to kibble is huge. all plaque off the dogs teeth, and wolf down their food. The 18 month olds teeth were good before we started, but the 2-1/2 year old did have some plaque on his teeth. Now both dogs teeth plaque free.

This is the video that convinced me to swap from kibble. Especially at 10:00 in, about dry kibble.

2 working cockers.
Split 450g of minced up various meats with offal and bone, then in evening they split 350g of bones meat each (chicken/turkey/duck legs, wings, heart, heads, necks, duck / chicken feet, tripe, pigs trotters, various bones with meat, rabbit, salmon heads, raw pigs ears). I stay away from anything that is cooked, smoked etc.
The amount of people who still tell us 'you can't give a dog chicken bones'. No, you cant give a dog COOKED chicken bones.

If feeding RAW, they recommend 2% - 3% of the dogs weight, per day. When i started, i went for 2.5%, but i thought it was not enough as they were still hungry. 3% works fine with them.
Cost wise, i would say it's 50p a day more expensive feeding 2 working cockers raw (not including the extra freezer i had to buy :rolleyes:). Take the morning food out the night before and take the evening meal out at breakfast time, to de-frost.

Got 4 bags of Akela sitting in my shed unopened.

Last edited:
As others above say, Pedrigree Chum is utter ****e, as is anything made by Purina. Packed out with rice and ash.
I also used to use solely Akela. Very good, but i changed the dogs onto RAW diet 6 months ago, and wont swap back.
The difference in the dogs teeth eating RAW compared to kibble is huge. all plaque off the dogs teeth, and wolf down their food. The 18 month olds teeth were good before we started, but the 2-1/2 year old did have some plaque on his teeth. Now both dogs teeth plaque free.

This is the video that convinced me to swap from kibble. Especially at 10:00 in, about dry kibble.

2 working cockers.
Split 450g of minced up various meats with offal and bone, then in evening they split 350g of bones meat each (chicken/turkey/duck legs, wings, heart, heads, necks, duck / chicken feet, tripe, pigs trotters, various bones with meat, rabbit, salmon heads, raw pigs ears). I stay away from anything that is cooked, smoked etc.
The amount of people who still tell us 'you can't give a dog chicken bones'. No, you cant give a dog COOKED chicken bones.

If feeding RAW, they recommend 2% - 3% of the dogs weight, per day. When i started, i went for 2.5%, but i thought it was not enough as they were still hungry. 3% works fine with them.
Cost wise, i would say it's 50p a day more expensive feeding 2 working cockers raw (not including the extra freezer i had to buy :rolleyes:). Take the morning food out the night before and take the evening meal out at breakfast time, to de-frost.

Got 4 bags of Akela sitting in my shed unopened.

Interesting (amateurish! but none the worse for it :) ) film. Thank you for the link.

We get quite a few pheasants and have just been taking the breasts for us and the legs and thighs for the dogs, maybe I ought to think about hanging on to the rest of the carcasses as well. This afternoon I have just been dividing up the bones of a large fallow buck for the freezer. So we have a bit to be going on with at 50/50 say.

Were you not tempted to go 50/50 Akela to start with?

Where do you buy/acquire the wide varieties of body parts from, are you on a farm or do you have a butcher contact?

Alan

Yes, the video is not the best made, but the point that i took most from it was that most owners think dry kibble cleans a dogs teeth (i also thought this). And as he says, you couldn't be further from the truth, as it basically turns to sludge and get trapped in between the teeth.

From the reading i did on changing to BARF or RAW, it says the best way is to go for a day with no food, then go straight into it. That is what i did.
You can, as you say go 50/50. I could have, to use the 4 bags of Akela i have, but we just went for it. And there was no issues.
What you can't do is mix RAW food and kibble in the same meal, as they digest at different speeds.

I googled various RAW food suppliers, and as most were in England, they would not ship to Aberdeenshire, as the shipping is frozen.
I found a dealer in Scotland that does it Frozen Products (BARF) Archives - Fife Animal Feed , at decent prices. Only thing is i have to buy it in 100 quid orders. (overseas and no pound sign on keyboard).

There is a supplier about 10 miles from me, but nearly all the products are twice the price.
But a pack of mince, usually 454g per pack, is between 70p and 1 quid. They get 1/2 a pack each.
For the evening food, since i work overseas (and for less hastle for the wife) i make up 350g freezer bags with 2 of each item so they get the same. So a bag might contain 2 duck wings, 2 chicken drumsticks and maybe 2 chicken hearts or 2 chicken necks. We sometimes hide it round the garden, so they have to search for it.

The RAW mince they like best, is the stuff that stinks most (with tripe in it). One of the dogs took a day or 2 of gingerly eating the mince, but then was good when the other one would sit and watch.
The older dog has lost 2kgs on the RAW diet and the vet said both are in perfect condition, and was impressed with how clean their teeth are, and did admit to being a fan of the RAW food diet for dogs. (wonder how the vet's in here feel about it).
Been no issues with wet or loose stools, no issues with choking on a bone. Only issue has been if they swallow a whole duck wing after a few chews they will be sick. But most of the time they chew on it. They seem to like chewing on ducks feet, and loved pig's tails, but not had them for a while.

But back to the topic of the post, it would seem most of the popular dog foods are made from bulked up rubbish (ash, rice, veg). Bit like kids with a McDonalds i suppose.

Last edited:
Similar prices to what I'm paying, it costs me 120 quid a month to feed my.pair of gsd's, that's 1lb of mince each a morning and just over 1lb of beef/tripe/pork or venison with offal an evening each so around a kilo a day each. Took a few weeks to get it right with the offal but got it bang on now. If I was to feed the suggested for pedigree for example it would be 6 tins a day for the bog lad, 4 for the youngun. Plus biscuits on top worked out a fortune. And there's very little wastage when butchering as the large majority of bones get distributed between friends and family for there dogs. Had a woman travel 2 hours to pick up a ribcage as I had what i needed off it! For the record, the big lad weighs in at 52kg, you can just make out his ribs with your hand through his coat (vets really happy with his weight for the size of him) and the youngun is 27.5kg ish, lean and muscular! Obviously smaller dogs will be a hell of a lot cheaper though

I’m in Angus Cody
I was using delivered to the door lad from letham ...has a Facebook page but found the quality really gone down hill last delivery .
I buy minced chicken carcasses in blocks from theyloveit.com
And apparently from what I’ve read on a few different sources are that chicken wings are excellent bone to meat ratio.....best place so far price wise is local Tesco for bags of frozen ones ....plus I usually devour a plate of chicken wings with some hot sauce etc myself and a cold beer.

I’d like to buy them bulk but haven’t found source yet...
But for me the dogs doing great and waaay less crap to do on poop patrol round garden now

Paul

Back