Thread: Mil-dots

Mil-dots

Are mil-dots the best choice of scope? In other words are range finders necessary?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb1100xxv View Post
    Are mil-dots the best choice of scope? In other words are range finders necessary?
    i'm no xspurt but I do have a mil-dot 4.5 - 14.5 scope on my fox/vermin rifle... a 27.5" 1:9 twist .223 and i find it helps.

but i wouldn't bother with one on my deer rifles, they seldom get pointed at anything more than 200m away.

Mil dot ranging is a useful back up when you have a target of known size. Any error in estimation of size of the target will make a big difference to the accuracy of ranging. The maths is relatively simple with a mil dot but it does take a bit of time to work out. Try this long range shooting demo as it is quite accurate and runs through the use of the mil dot reticle. Only problem with this demo is that the scope adjustments are in MOA but the mil dot is in milradians (obviously!!). I find it easier to work my scope adjustments out in milradians when using a mil calibrated reticle.

http://www.shooterready.com/

As you will see the mil ranging can be a bit slow. For stalking I would choose a rangefinder every time as its faster

Cheers

S

Account Suspended
    [QUOTE=srvet;121899]Mil dot ranging is a useful back up when you have a target of known size. Any error in estimation of size of the target will make a big difference to the accuracy of ranging.
    http://www.shooterready.com/

You can use other references than the target. I find that modern field-gates are pretty consistent in height, for instance. Obviously this all depends on the ground you shoot over.

Ta, I was hoping to get an intuitive feel for the distance to the quarry. A rangefinder seems a smart move.

Leica Geovids.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Leica Geovids, very nice. Nice price too.
    I'm now considering the built in rangefinders by Zeiss, purely for simplicity.
    Alas, decisions, decisions...

mil dot is a good guide for distance once you have established where the P.O.I is. as for any distance, if you want an accurate measurment get a 85 range finder on 'that' site ! If you like to hunt, or shoot, get a rifle that fits, some good ammo & GO HAVE AFUN ! its not rocket science, or technical..

Mil-dot scopes were developed for shooting two legged game!!!

I would not purchase a scope just because it had a Mil-dot reticule (takes time to work the numbers and you need to have a good idea of the size of target you are looking at), more important in my mind is to ensure the the scope windage and elevation is in MOA.

Either purchase a stand alone range finder or one built into a scope or bino's.

ATB,
    John

There's also the option of getting bino's with mildots in the left pane - for example Leupold Tactical - around $450. Takes around 10 seconds to accurately work out the range, just make sure you know the height of say, full grown roe, red, stags, hinds, fence post, etc.