7 Point Malform

Stu

Your link doesn't appear to be working. You might want to check it out.

A nice buck you managed to dab there.

Didn`t work for me either.
basil.
At the moment its only working during office hours as its running on the back of an office computer we are not sure at present if we are going to continue with it.
Thanks
Stu

Last edited:
Stu

I don't know what office hours your mate keeps but I've just tried it again 10.30 AM. And its still off line.:D

Perhaps he just works a 3 day week.

I think it would be worth measuring. Looks to be a good amount of weight in the beams.
I doubt it very much from what i have seen of it at first hand but I might be wrong but I still reckon its worth mounting full head mount due to the abnormality factor alone as you dont get malforms usually as good as this one at least i havent seen so many its got a finger spur off just above the pedicle and another spur off below that one, its a nice one to say the least.

If I had been lucky enough to stalk and grass him on my ground he would be a shoulder mount on my wall for sure, well done to both of you.

Max

I doubt it very much from what i have seen of it at first hand but I might be wrong but I still reckon its worth mounting full head mount due to the abnormality factor alone as you dont get malforms usually as good as this one at least i havent seen so many its got a finger spur off just above the pedicle and another spur off below that one, its a nice one to say the least.

Stu

You mate doesn't look all that chuffed at having dabbed such a fine specimen. I can only assume that he was a little over awed. How come he's clutching your old Mannlicher like its doing to get up and run away?

Stu

You mate doesn't look all that chuffed at having dabbed such a fine specimen. I can only assume that he was a little over awed. How come he's clutching your old Mannlicher like its doing to get up and run away?
Your observant how did you know it was my old smoke pole?:D

I thought it more prudent to take him stalking with mine as we were covering quite a bit of distance and his rifle was a little heavy with a great can on the end ,and i new if he got into a beast I would have to carry it back the 3 miles to base camp , I wasnt going to carry the beast he had shot (Standing rules apply what you shoot you carry as we all know) So I wasnt going to be stuffed carrying a pipe and can weighing a ton thats for sure. up here for thinking down there for dancing I say:rofl:

Nice buck, shame you couldnt have taken the photos with its legs still attached.
Camera was back at base camp pip and it was easier to extract and carry and put into the roe sack than carry it 3 mile with the legs attached, uneccesary extra weight was more important to be reduced at the time (Which is standard practice in the field) than taking photographs of an intact beast.
Regards
Stu

Sorry I am a little late but only just found the thread.

Well I am the bloke in the picture who was lucky enough to get a shot at this cracking beast. My own rifle is a bit heavy yes but more importantly right on the bottom end power limit so Stu thought it prudent to just take his lovelly old Mannlicher 270 in case something appeared a fair way off. I am reluctant to extend the range of mine on deer as I dont want a wounded beast. As it happened the shot was not that far and quite fortunate really, we were stalking along a grassed ride at the edge of a large woodland block. To the right a tall thorn hedge with no bottom much and a wire netting fence with a strand of barbed wire on top, the field that side was thistles and nettles. The other side was a few rows of silver birch etc then a large expanse of clear fell.

The buck came up the thistle field and saw us at about 10 feet !!, he about turned and dissapeared back from where he came. He crossed the ride as expected about 70 yards away but at speed and failed to stop, went 50 yards into the clearfell and stopped for a quick better look. That was his undoing, I managed to thread the bullet between 4 trees into his neck, it was the only shot I had.

I am a relative novice at stalking and have never shot anything as magnificent as this boy, having carried him back through thigh high grass, rushes and deep ditches just before the pics I was pretty well knackered I can tell you. I think I was using the old Mannlicher as a prop to hold me up at that stage !!.

I am deeply indebted to Stu and his stalking partner Tony for giving up their own stalking time to get me this shot. Thanks guys.

The head is currently in my freezer while I get taxidermy costs, if anyone has any contacts in this area please pm me.

Thanks again,

A

Sorry I am a little late but only just found the thread.

Well I am the bloke in the picture who was lucky enough to get a shot at this cracking beast. My own rifle is a bit heavy yes but more importantly right on the bottom end power limit so Stu thought it prudent to just take his lovelly old Mannlicher 270 in case something appeared a fair way off. I am reluctant to extend the range of mine on deer as I dont want a wounded beast. As it happened the shot was not that far and quite fortunate really, we were stalking along a grassed ride at the edge of a large woodland block. To the right a tall thorn hedge with no bottom much and a wire netting fence with a strand of barbed wire on top, the field that side was thistles and nettles. The other side was a few rows of silver birch etc then a large expanse of clear fell.

The buck came up the thistle field and saw us at about 10 feet !!, he about turned and dissapeared back from where he came. He crossed the ride as expected about 70 yards away but at speed and failed to stop, went 50 yards into the clearfell and stopped for a quick better look. That was his undoing, I managed to thread the bullet between 4 trees into his neck, it was the only shot I had.

I am a relative novice at stalking and have never shot anything as magnificent as this boy, having carried him back through thigh high grass, rushes and deep ditches just before the pics I was pretty well knackered I can tell you. I think I was using the old Mannlicher as a prop to hold me up at that stage !!.

I am deeply indebted to Stu and his stalking partner Tony for giving up their own stalking time to get me this shot. Thanks guys.

The head is currently in my freezer while I get taxidermy costs, if anyone has any contacts in this area please pm me.

Thanks again,

A

You was most welcome Geoff and it gave me a lot of pleasure in seeing your face when you realized it was such a nice buck.
Well Done
Stu

p.s Your most welcome anytime and I hope this memory of the day lives with you for a long time.

Back