Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handling foxes.

Handling foxes.

You learn something every day, over on AR, I read a post by someone that deals with something called Alveolar echinococcosis, now I always have used gloves when handling shot fox,purely to prevent the chance of transmitting mange & the like to dogs etc, also I like to keep the scent off me if possible, (violent emptying of the scent glands can sometimes occur with bullet strikes), this disease is passed to humans by hand to mouth, or from infected grass / windfall fruit etc much the same as the way ordinary tapeworms get about, the symptoms can resemble liver failure as in alcoholics, it can be fatal if not diagnosed & treatment is usually surgery to remove the cyst/s, the register of this diseases development up until 2000 has nil cases (known) in the UK, when one case was identified, 10 years on I think it's even more important to use gloves when dealing with fox.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

None of my continental and Nth American shooting friends will not handle foxes without gloves full stop. Mange and rabies at just 2 of the transmittable diseases.

AHD or Alveolar hydatid disease otherwise known as alveolar echinococcosis, is caused by the fox tapeworm.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/disease/diseaseother.html

Almoner, thank you for the direct link mate!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Steve

Always happy to oblige where ever and when ever I can

I wonder how many fox hounds catch it as they will be exposed to and diseases foxes carry when they catch one on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    You learn something every day, over on AR, I read a post by someone that deals with something called Alveolar echinococcosis, now I always have used gloves when handling shot fox,purely to prevent the chance of transmitting mange & the like to dogs etc, also I like to keep the scent off me if possible, (violent emptying of the scent glands can sometimes occur with bullet strikes), this disease is passed to humans by hand to mouth, or from infected grass / windfall fruit etc much the same as the way ordinary tapeworms get about, the symptoms can resemble liver failure as in alcoholics, it can be fatal if not diagnosed & treatment is usually surgery to remove the cyst/s, the register of this diseases development up until 2000 has nil cases (known) in the UK, when one case was identified, 10 years on I think it's even more important to use gloves when dealing with fox.
    Makes you think, I have never bothered with gloves to handle fox, but know that my Belgian clients wont touch them
    wont even go near them, won't go close enough to see if its a dog or a vixen they have shot.

It says in that article that the fox tapeworm which carries alveolar echinococcosis isn't present in Britain.

Well if I was thinking about it....thats really put me off eating one

Quote Originally Posted by manco View Post
    It says in that article that the fox tapeworm which carries alveolar echinococcosis isn't present in Britain.
    1 case was recorded in 2000

They carry standard dog roundworm and also Weils too so hygiene precautions are sensible. Personally I don't usually bother with gloves with foxes unless it's a particularly messy carcass but I'm obviously careful with hand hygiene afterwords. In order to get infected with roundworm you need to injest the eggs found in faeces, and to be honest, you are as likely to come into contact with fox faeces crawling around in the countryside doing other things as you are actually handling a fox in my opinion.

Alex