Butchered my first deer!

Well, going on from my previous post with regards to Frank helping me stalk my first ever Deer (My first Buck thread title), the great chap also spent hours with me showing me how to butcher the animal properly.

Frank told me to leave it hanging in my cool (ish) garage for a couple of days after the successful stalk to allow the enzyme in the animal to tenderize the meat a bit more.
He then came over to my house and started to get to work.
He initially showed me how to skin the animal properly, now bear in mind this was all new to me so I was a bit perplexed at a couple of stages in the full process! He then went on to butcher the animal conserving as much meat as was physically possible, I had a go myself on one of the haunches but I really did butcher the poor thing.....I remember Frank kept saying keep the knife close to the bone and just follow the natural way of the bone......he made it look easy i can tell you!!
Anyway out of the buck he/we managed to get approximately:

10lbs mincemeat
7lbs steaks
3lbs of casserole meat

Freezer is now stacked with Venison, never knew I had as many friends when they all found out it was butchered and in little platic bags in the freezer:D
Unfortunately havent had a chance to try the steaks yet as now back at work :cry: but got that to look forward to when I get home because they look fantastic!

Thanks again Frank, I will be returning the favour on my shooting land that's a promise:D

JD

Well done, it's very satisfying being involved in the whole preparation process isn't it! :D

Like you say, no one wants anything to do with the smelly carcass hanging in the garage with ticks dropping off it.... but it's a different matter when the sausages are sizzling on the BBQ and they are all holding their plates out! :lol:

Well done, I too found it deeply satisfying, the local butcher helped me a few weeks ago, for the price of a pint. I just got a mincer so its sausage and burger making next. It all keeps the whole experience going. All the best Tom

yes its great when you get the hang of it all and like you say friends always want to come round for dinner i have another one on sat night,heres whats left of mine but will do better next time:lol:

02062010216.jpg

Well done on your first attempt JD. It's certainly not as simple as it looks! I've done a few for myself now and they still come out a bit messy. I generally end up with mainly mince and stewing meat and some pretty random looking joints.

All the same it's a great feeling to butcher your own kill. I enjoy the prep work more than I enjoy eating it. Maybe because for now it's still a challenge?

Stone,

Very informative thread link you have posted. Very good read.
Yes, you are correct in what you say with regards to guys helping out. I wouldnt have had a clue what I was doing (Frank will say I still don't after him watching my attempt :)!!!) so makes the world of difference having someone you can follow or ask advice.

Stone,

Very informative thread link you have posted. Very good read.
Yes, you are correct in what you say with regards to guys helping out. I wouldnt have had a clue what I was doing (Frank will say I still don't after him watching my attempt :)!!!) so makes the world of difference having someone you can follow or ask advice.

heh my friend i am no expert just glad to help i have posted my side for you to fill in the spaces.. i hope it makes good reading for you.
i tied not to mention the sling ha ha:rofl:

frank

Back