Kestrel v Bat

tuck1

Had an interesting one tonight. During the twilight walk with the dog, I watched a kestrel through my binoculars, alternatively swooping and hovering at a distance of about 300 yards from me. Suddenly, against the clear evening sky, there was a bat fluttering around. The kestrel went into a stoop, caught it mid flight, and carried it to a nearby barn roof, where I lost sight of it in the gloaming.

Anyone else seen anything similar, it has never occurred to me that they would be kestrel fodder?!

Lovely to watch all the same.

Anyone else seen anything similar, it has never occurred to me that they would be kestrel fodder?!

Lovely to watch all the same.
Some years ago I saw something similar. I was walking out from a small plantation(almost dark) and looked above in time to see a hawk take a bat just above my head (20ft or so) I mentioned it to a birder (twitcher) that I know and he suggested that it may well have been a Merlin. Apparently Merlins are a bit partial to bats. As you say tuck1, these things are quite special to witness.
Cheers, Pete.

Amazing to watch never seen a kestrel take a bat ,was out decoying on a farm for pigeons and a kestrel attacked a wood pigeon decoy so they must take or try to take wood pigeons .

Back