A question you've been asked many times befor forgive me.

Adamfurby

forgive me.I couldn't find a feed about my question. I'm currently thinking about getting my fac, I'm not new to firearms having been in the army and lived/farmed in Australia. I'm going to talk my dsc 1 later in the year to brush up on my drills and get to know my intended quary further. My question is do you need thousands of achers of permission to acquire a centre fire rifle?. currently I have around 400 cleared up to 5.56 or .223 in its civilian name (I know there's a difference in the brass :D:D:D) but would mostly be looking at stalking all over the country accompanied to begin with and wile my personal permission grew. Thanks so much in advance Adam

What you have (or in many cases none) will be fine if you can justify good reason, good reason doesn't mean you own half of Northumberland it may be that you pay for one days stalking every year with a guide. You'll be fine.

If you currently have 400 acres cleared for .223 then that will not be an issue. Vermin control being good reason. To get a larger calibre on an open ticket (you can use it anywhere) then a DSC1 is a great help and proof of paid stalks in different places with different people tends to push them down that route. There are plenty of great guys on here you can buy mornings and evenings with at a very reasonable price. In my experience the FLO's are not difficult people and reasonable requests backed up by good reason by responsible people with a good understanding of safety tend to get passed through relatively easily. Just don't ask for a 338LM.

Just ONE accompanied stalk p.a., where you wish to use your own rifle, is sufficient 'Good Reason' to ask for a deer-legal caliber on your FAC. Once you have your own permission(s) - it's not the acreage that matters, but the topography (Backstops, footpath, roads, dwellings) combined with your awareness of/attitude to the safe handling of firearms. Good luck with your application, and enjoy your stalking.

Thanks a lot fellas was abit down trodden been told that you have to have a lot of land to get a deer suitable caliber but obviously they were wrong. I was thinking either .243 or maybe a.270 as a suitable first caliber I know .243 is legal minimum for most species of deer her in the U.K. But would it not limit you if for instance you wanted to go up into the highlands for reds over a longer distance? Thanks again

Either of those would be fine, .243 with 100gr bullets put in the right place will kill everything in the uk, granted not everyone's choice, and I personally prefer a lumpier round for large reds but plenty of people use .243 to good effect. But one thing for sure is that calibers divide people worse than almost any other debate in this place!! You'll get a lot of different views!

Thanks a lot fellas was abit down trodden been told that you have to have a lot of land to get a deer suitable caliber but obviously they were wrong. I was thinking either .243 or maybe a.270 as a suitable first caliber I know .243 is legal minimum for most species of deer her in the U.K. But would it not limit you if for instance you wanted to go up into the highlands for reds over a longer distance? Thanks again
NO it would not limit you as it is a deer calibre for all species. And you would not be shooting that far. all the best with the future and i hope you get what you are looking for.

NO it would not limit you as it is a deer calibre for all species. And you would not be shooting that far. all the best with the future and i hope you get what you are looking for.

Some o estates/individual guides, do not permit .243 and support .308 as the most suitable/min calibre for larger reds,worth a quick check - Estate rifles usually available.

So some estates enforce there own minimum caliber requirements? But usually they will have estate rifle hire if so. Any thoughts on straight pull vs old faithful bolt action?, I quite like the look of the blaser r8 seems to group well and I haven't read many negative reviews on it. Also I like the idea of being able to buy different caliber barrels for it at a later date.? I used a tikka t3 chambered in .243 all the time I was in Australia and it never failed me I'm a stickler for clean weapons but I purposely did not clean it for 6 mouths fired it nearly every day out in all conditions and it never hung up on me once. Was very impressed.

I chose a .308 as there are plenty about in different makes and bullets are plentiful in any flavour. I cant settle with straight pull personally and prefer the old faithful bolt, especially where a single shot rather than several in quick succession (driven boar) are required. Blaser have a reputation, real or imagined by some on SD - I haven't fired one - I stick to the 'usual suspect' makes.

Back