Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toyota hilux

toyota hilux

Was just wondering if anyone on here has one of the toyota hiluxs four year old or less as I am getting one for work and was wondering what model youto get and what you have hl2 hl3, invinsable and whats its like. Also does anyone know if all the models have different bhp

Rgds

222cwd

I have a 57 plate 3.0 D4D double cab with auto box. It has 176 bhp. I love it and has done 110,000 miles in 3 years!!! With BFG tyres it goes off road anywhere I take it and is very comfortable to drive. MPG is on average 31.8mpg, crusing on motorway I get to 36mpg.
    It tows ok to, I have had tri axle ifor williams on with cattle in and had no problem.

Recommend 100%.

The 2.5's are something like 132bhp and you do notice the difference.
    HL2 is the basic grade with black door handles and bumpers, radio and electric front windows. Only in 2.5.
    HL3 comes with air con, all electric, auto box if wanted available in 2.5 and 3.0.
    Invincable is top of range, built in sat nav, some have leather, heated seats etc.

If I were you I'd try go for a manual HL3 double cab 3.0.

I have just bought a new 3.0 D4D Invincible, I like it!

The NEW 2.5 engine has been remapped to give the same torque curve as the 3.0 as the previous 2.5 did feel underpowered.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sako85 View Post
    I have a 57 plate 3.0 D4D double cab with auto box. It has 176 bhp. I love it and has done 110,000 miles in 3 years!!! With BFG tyres it goes off road anywhere I take it and is very comfortable to drive. MPG is on average 31.8mpg, crusing on motorway I get to 36mpg.
    It tows ok to, I have had tri axle ifor williams on with cattle in and had no problem.

Recommend 100%.

The 2.5's are something like 132bhp and you do notice the difference.
    HL2 is the basic grade with black door handles and bumpers, radio and electric front windows. Only in 2.5.
    HL3 comes with air con, all electric, auto box if wanted available in 2.5 and 3.0.
    Invincable is top of range, built in sat nav, some have leather, heated seats etc.

If I were you I'd try go for a manual HL3 double cab 3.0.
    +1 for the Hi Lux i have an 07 inviceable,i wouldnt swap it for anyhting

I bought a 2.5 HL3 (really difficult to find a good one 2nd hand) had it for 4 months now and am very pleased.
    Immediately changed the tyres for BFG all terrains.
    However, the first deer i tried to get in the back was a huge red stag, it was a struggle lifting it over the tail gate.
    But when i was at the game dealers tonight (my first fallow buck this year) another guy arrived with a L200, he had fitted a Superwinch on the floor of the pick up, now that is a good idea, so that will be my next purchase, or will it be a .308 for the boar that keep showing up?
    But then if i shoot one with my new .308 how will i get it in the back?
    Decisions,decisions.
    Cheers
    Richard

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    had a good few hi-lux's all from new and they are A1 100% just bought nissan nivarna cracking vehicle but far to good for shooting/stalking getting up to the eyes in mud etc, when you get it as long as its in green and a d/cab ill swap ya

My bought one new back in february as his everyday farm vehicle and loves it for driving a long distance for comfort and ease to drive. The standard tires are crap and will be replaced for the shooting season (he has never taken it off road but i have had it stuck twice) its a 2.5l tdi and i think its hl2 but maybe hl3 and he says he wish he went slightly higher spec in reality (leather and sat nav and so on) but still like it for what it is. However it cannot tow a 2.5 ton load all that the R reg farm defender 90 with 200,000 on the clock can do just fine so that will be replaced with another defender in the coming months.

George

We've just gone from a chipped 2.5invincible to (150bhp) a 3ltr. There is a BIG diffference. The 3 ltr is so much lazier, and has so much more grunt. You don't have to change down as often as it pulls like a train from about 1500rpm, which is why.................
    You want an auto.
    The company car allowance wouldn't stretch to an auto spec'd invincible which is a shame as the 3ltr motor is really made for an auto box. Auto's are better for towing, better off-road and take a lot of the stress and shock loading away from the rest of the drivetrain.
    All the engines have the same output respective of their capacity, ie all 2.5's are the same and all 3ltr's are the same. They are worth getting chipped as it's makes a noticeable difference in torque and improves fuel economy, especially when towing.
    Regarding towing capacity I'm sure ours is now rated to tow the same as a defender as this is one area where the Hi-lux (and other pick-ups) miss out. I don't know why because the 3 ltr is a LOT more capable than a defender. We had a new 110 on loan last year and it was frankly cack compared to the hi-lux in every respect.
    Last edited by pigglet; 09-08-2010 at 07:14.

Brother in law replaced both his Navarras affter they both caught light , wiring loom problem. Over the moon with the Hilux's or is that Hiluxi

here we go, had a 56 plate single cab 2.5 at the last place and don`t shoot me for saying this but it was hopeless. by the time it had done 36000 we had replaced the front diff as it blew up pulling out on to the dual carrageway ( new pants moment!) gone thru 4 sets of leaf springs on the back and repeatedly sent it back to the main dealer as the air con/ heater controls would jam up solid. The engine management, battery and air bag lights would do xmas tree impresions every time you forded a small burn and it had to be the most gutless creation ever invented, towing a trailer thru dundee was like a game of russian roulette at each roundabout.

this could be put down to a bad motor or pilot error but for the fact the other low ground keepers 06 plate hilux had all the smae problems as mine.

surly the new ones must have improved by the sounds of it but to paying a premium for toyotas supposed reliability record seemed a bit of a joke when these two were no where near as reliable as the other 8 keepers land rovers on the place.