Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarity of stalking opportunities

Clarity of stalking opportunities

Admin

As you all know the costs for stalking opportunities vary massively. With some outfits charging cull fees for bucks and does. Others, bucks only. Some cull fees include the venison, others do not... We could go on discussing the variants all day long. I think a lot of people who want paid stalking would find it very helpful if suppliers offered completely transparent advertising on this site. I'll pay for anything if it's warranted but I really dislike finding out about hidden costs. And I'm positive I'm not alone here! Therefore, would it be an idea for those offering paid stalking opportunities to use an SD template detailing something similar to below :-

Outing fee and duration
    Cull fees
    Missed or lost animal fees
    Venison fees
    Trophy fees
    Trophy preparation fees
    Other additional charges
    Accommodation available etc
    Guest requirements DSC level 1, Insurance etc
    Calibres permitted

I'm sure this will not appeal to those companies who fees and charges are at the higher end of the scale. However I'm sure that those who want to increase their customer base and who have sensibly priced outing available will benefit greatly. Perhaps a section of the forum could be introduced for anyone willing to offer such an advert. To stop derogatory comments being made, and the discussion going off at a tangent you could either lock the thread, or simply introduce a rule to ensure nothing negative is posted. This can be policed with infractions through the forum software etc.

Maybe special advertising rates for recreational stalkers who are only offering the occasional opportunity could be introduced increasing the forums revenue. If it's used I think it will be of great benefit to the forum community as a whole, giving people more info of whats available and allowing choices to be made. Feedback is an option that could be included allowing those who have stalked with a supplier to write a review etc.

Just an idea....

+1 on that. I don't have my own stalking and rely on "bought days" and invitations from friends. I would welcome the sort of transparency described by MJ75.

Andrew

Good idea, one further thing useful to know is whether the ground is cleared and if so for which calibres or whether an open ticket is required.

It does seem like a lot of detail but I think it is definitely the way to go for clarity.
    It would certainly save contacting the advertiser and asking the same questions.
    For instance I have seen posts such as, (not exactly as written, but the gist is there)
    'Had an absolutely fantastic four hour stalk, shot the biggest buck of my life, allowed to keep the carcass, excellent guide etc etc'
    What is not included is that it cost 5k
    Or 'Had a fantastic time with so and so, stalking is only 40 an outing, shot a lovely six pointer' but doesn't mention that it cost 1k per point for the buck and he couldn't keep the carcass

Hows this for clarity, open to SD members,

50 a day/part day
    Carcase at dealer prices (condemned/spoilt carcases will be paid for)
    No trophy fees
    B&B available
    must have insurance
    All deer legal calibres permitted.
    own teeth not essential but it is easier on my eye

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Hows this for clarity, open to SD members,

50 a day/part day
    Carcase at dealer prices (condemned/spoilt carcases will be paid for)
    No trophy fees
    B&B available
    must have insurance
    All deer legal calibres permitted.
    own teeth not essential but it is easier on my eye

John
    Ive pissed on the chips then as I borrow my ex wifes and she broke them in for a sheiks camel

"Own teeth not essential but it is easier on my eye "
    As I only have some teeth can you use the other eye John

Surly that age old warning

Caveat emptor ! applies just as much when buy stalking as when buying anything else. If not more so.

Openness in advertising details is always advisable, but not always necessary. A willingness to discuss the arrangemnets and ensuring that the client is fully conversant with what has been agreed is a must. Its call client management.

Those clients that fail to ask the right questions, fail to do their research, fail to make sure they have all of the boxes tick and the signatures in the right places etc,etc. Only have themselves to blame when the day. week, or morning doesn't turn out as they had hoped or the bill is larger than they first thought..

Quote Originally Posted by Almoner View Post
    Surly that age old warning

Caveat emptor ! applies just as much when buy stalking as when buying anything else. If not more so.

Openness in advertising details is always advisable, but not always necessary. A willingness to discuss the arrangemnets and ensuring that the client is fully conversant with what has been agreed is a must. Its call client management.

Those clients that fail to ask the right questions, fail to do their research, fail to make sure they have all of the boxes tick and the signatures in the right places etc,etc. Only have themselves to blame when the day. week, or morning doesn't turn out as they had hoped or the bill is larger than they first thought..
    I disagree to an extent. There are some newbie stalkers who have fallen foul to hidden charges. If they booked stalking in good faith and were unaware I don't think it's there fault. You need to remeber our knowledge and experience has been built up over time. Not everyone understands that some charge per point, others a set cull fee etc. And not every operator is entirely transparent about their offerings!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Therefore, would it be an idea for those offering paid stalking opportunities to use an SD template
    It's certainly technically possible. I've been experimenting with a template system for creating posts and it can probably be done. The problems come when you start looking at all the different permutations of pricing etc. You could end up with a very complex form, or on the other end of the spectrum we could end up with lots of 'not applicables' because the form doesn't reflect how they price their services.

Your list certainly captures the majority of things people should be asking of advertisers though. I'd also be interested in getting some feedback from some of the advertisers too....

Alex