Primer pocket reamer/uniformer

musty

I am still no 100% on this.

Do you guys use a primer pocket reamer/uniformer? if so how often?

steve

Musty,
I use a uniformer once on new brass, after that i just clean the pocket in the usuall way. All new cases are full length resized, checked for length, flash hole de burred, primer pocket uniformed, case neck's de burred then chamfered (that way round).
It might not make a huge difference but the tools aren't expensive and it certainly wont hurt.
Remember that a pocket uniformer only cuts the bottom of the primer pocket so it should only cut once anyway, after that you would just be cleaning the pocket not removing brass.

Ezzy

Steve
I use one of these every time I prepare the brass.
SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformers, Large Rifle (UN-8002 ) -

I try and follow exactly the same process every time I prep the brass.
It doesn't really matter what you do, but more that you do the same steps in the same order each time. You can take prepping brass to extremes, but most folk can get very acceptable results without to much effort.
The following article takes things to extremes:
One of the Many Great Articles from the Archives of Precision Shooting Magazine...
Have fun, write down what you do and do it the same way the next time you do it.
Regards
JCS

The accepted wisdom is, don't do that.

Uniform primer pockets and flash holes once only. Or buy decent brass, like Lapua for instance.

I pass along these words from a military and civil commercial reloader, who also happens to be a bit good at 1000yd shootin' too.

Ogive

Thanks for the feedback. I keep tweaking my list of things to do with the brass as I improve my understanding. I am getting reasonable chrono results at present as per attached. It is all Remington brass.

Any comments on these results?

Rgds JCS

Lookin good jc

Do the groups match the tight velocity spread?

Nothing wrong with R-P brass, I use it in my .30-06 ...sometimes there's a bit of burring on the flash holes though, but I'm guessing you already know that and have dealt with it.

However, I prefer lapua for the 6.5 - 284

Lookin good jc

Do the groups match the tight velocity spread? ....

Ogive
Once or twice a month I catch up with a good friend for lessons in shooting and reloading. He has a chrono and I have run my current best loads for the new 260 over his chrono. So in answer to your question, the groups were ok, but I was concentrating on not shooting the chrono and had the scope cranked right down.
Thanks
JCS

Yeah, not shooting the chrono is a good idea, specially if it's your pal's.

Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Good luck with the lessons.

It's just all about technique and confidence... So they tell me :D

i have found that it takes 2-3 firings and primer pocket uniformings before everything has settled down and stopped expanding and twisting out of shape.

WB.

I use it once at the start with new cases and cut all extra brass out of the pocket but then use it again after each firing to clean out the residue. Just a quick and fairly gentle twist the second time.

S

I use it once at the start with new cases and cut all extra brass out of the pocket but then use it again after each firing to clean out the residue. Just a quick and fairly gentle twist the second time.

S

Hi srvet, believe it or not but primer residue is hard enough to blunt the cutter of your uniformer, better to use a dedicated primer pocket cleaning tool.

WB.

Back