Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best ways to clean your brass???

The best ways to clean your brass???

I've started reloading the .308 again and although I have the case tumbler I don't really use it because I clean each lot I use when I get home. At the moment I'm sticking the case holder in my cordless drill and then clean off the neck and shoulder with a scotchbright cleaning pad pinched over a spinning case which takes a few seconds per case.

What's everyone else doing and is there a magic method?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    I've started reloading the .308 again and although I have the case tumbler I don't really use it because I clean each lot I use when I get home. At the moment I'm sticking the case holder in my cordless drill and then clean off the neck and shoulder with a scotchbright cleaning pad pinched over a spinning case which takes a few seconds per case.

What's everyone else doing and is there a magic method?
    Same Method with cordless drill but I use Solvol Autosol on a small polishing cloth follwed by a clean rag. Scotch bright is a bit too abrasive for my liking
    Stu

Stu, Scotchbrite is available in jeweller's rouge type grades.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Stu, Scotchbrite is available in jeweller's rouge type grades.
    Well I stand corrected I wasnt aware of such fine grades I had visions of him using a scotch pad
    Jewelers Rouge is similar in composition to Solvol Autosol probably finer and better the than solvol if this is the case I will have to try it, depends how cheap it is though as everyone knows my arse makes a squeak when I walk
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 30-07-2010 at 17:39.

I like really clean shiny brass - however, I surpassed myself by bunging 150 .270W cases in my tumbler and leaving them in there for what I anticipated would be the usual 24-36 hours. Somehow, I got distracted by an invitation to go hunting and forgot about them tumbling away in my workshop at the top of the garden.

Very, very shiny indeed - in fact almost blindingly shiny inside and out - is the answer to the question 'how shiny do rifle cases get when you leave them in a tumbler for 7 days whilst you go away stalking in Ireland'

I use coca cola! Cleans the inside and outside which abrasives in a drill cannot. Submerge them for a few hours and then rinse and dry. They come up like new! No metal worn away by abrasives and clean inside too as well as the primer pocket.
    I've also read that if they are too polished they do not grip the chamber as they need too upon expansion and can therefore push back? Not sure about that one but it does make sense I suppose.
    If you do still need a bit of abrasion, use very fine wire wool.
    Don't drink the coke after though!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I use coca cola! Cleans the inside and outside which abrasives in a drill cannot. Submerge them for a few hours and then rinse and dry. They come up like new! No metal worn away by abrasives and clean inside too as well as the primer pocket.
    I've also read that if they are too polished they do not grip the chamber as they need too upon expansion and can therefore push back? Not sure about that one but it does make sense I suppose.
    MS
    "coke" really,Ive never heard of that one before.does it work that well ??,do you just rince them and leave to dry

MS - if it does that to brass cases, I wouldn't drink it before!

FWIW, I put fired brass in a tumbler (using corn cob and a dash of olive oil) for anything from a few hours to a couple of days - seems the longer you tumble them, the shinier they are. Doing it one at a time on a drill strikes me as hard work!

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS

coke works on most things i use it for oil on my drive it works a treat ,not tried cases though,wayne

Just like to dive in here to thank mereside for my free gambrel recieved,today,the guy even paid the postage top man,on this sight,one of many,I know of,