Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuckoo

Cuckoo

What a brilliant day I have heard a Cuckoo for the first time for two years here in South Northants. How refreshing as we have loads of vermin Red Kites numbering up too 90+ just a mile from my woods, Buzzards on every fence post, forcing all the Hares and Partridges into the woods and now the bloody badgers have moved in. Wf1

I was lying watching an area of heather on the edge of a small wooded area well up a hill last night. Bathed in sunlight , the wind dropped and for a minute or so all I could hear was a cuckoo.

You could say that a bird that lays it's eggs in other birds nests at the cost of the host is vermin in itself, not that much different to say Magpies predating eggs is it?

Heard the first cuckoo on the 5th May this year.

i saw one last week flying along the road, at first i thought it was a spar but it didnt look quite right. then the penny dropped .
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    You could say that a bird that lays it's eggs in other birds nests at the cost of the host is vermin in itself, not that much different to say Magpies predating eggs is it?
    You make a fair and valid point, but they are quite scarce and only do one nest, so I don't see them as quite the threat of corvids. It is great to hear them though as it is a sure sign that summer is on the way. I heard one a few weeks ago in Suffolk.
    MS

I haven't heard one this year so far

I was listening to one tonight while sitting in the bluebells.
    It was the only thing I could hear and see

Sitting out having a look at how big (or not) the rabbit population is at dusk this evening. All sorts going on. Did we actually shoot ANY pheasants last season? Bats fluttering by, owls calling, hares in the fields, cuckoo sounding, horses clearing their throats and shaking their manes, tired but inquisitive lambs walking up to take a look at me and being called back by mother, crows flying over on the way home, pigeons doing the same and veering away as they see me, the dog on the next farm barking in the distance. To top it all, a spectacular sunset over the Solway Firth. Who wants to live in a city?

There's a few rabbits there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    You make a fair and valid point, but they are quite scarce and only do one nest, so I don't see them as quite the threat of corvids. It is great to hear them though as it is a sure sign that summer is on the way. I heard one a few weeks ago in Suffolk.
    MS
    grumpy heard and saw one last night in BW .I ve not heard a cuckoo for a couple of seasons
    Norma