Cuckoo

wildfowler1

What a brilliant day I have heard a Cuckoo for the first time for two years here in South Northants. How refreshing as we have loads of vermin Red Kites numbering up too 90+ just a mile from my woods, Buzzards on every fence post, forcing all the Hares and Partridges into the woods and now the bloody badgers have moved in. Wf1

I was lying watching an area of heather on the edge of a small wooded area well up a hill last night. Bathed in sunlight , the wind dropped and for a minute or so all I could hear was a cuckoo.

You could say that a bird that lays it's eggs in other birds nests at the cost of the host is vermin in itself, not that much different to say Magpies predating eggs is it?

i saw one last week flying along the road, at first i thought it was a spar but it didnt look quite right. then the penny dropped .

You could say that a bird that lays it's eggs in other birds nests at the cost of the host is vermin in itself, not that much different to say Magpies predating eggs is it?

You make a fair and valid point, but they are quite scarce and only do one nest, so I don't see them as quite the threat of corvids. It is great to hear them though as it is a sure sign that summer is on the way. I heard one a few weeks ago in Suffolk.
MS

I was listening to one tonight while sitting in the bluebells.
It was the only thing I could hear and see:cry:

Sitting out having a look at how big (or not) the rabbit population is at dusk this evening. All sorts going on. Did we actually shoot ANY pheasants last season? Bats fluttering by, owls calling, hares in the fields, cuckoo sounding, horses clearing their throats and shaking their manes, tired but inquisitive lambs walking up to take a look at me and being called back by mother, crows flying over on the way home, pigeons doing the same and veering away as they see me, the dog on the next farm barking in the distance. To top it all, a spectacular sunset over the Solway Firth. Who wants to live in a city?

There's a few rabbits there too.

You make a fair and valid point, but they are quite scarce and only do one nest, so I don't see them as quite the threat of corvids. It is great to hear them though as it is a sure sign that summer is on the way. I heard one a few weeks ago in Suffolk.
MS
grumpy heard and saw one last night in BW .I ve not heard a cuckoo for a couple of seasons
Norma

One night, a few weeks ago I had a really good evening in the "office", I could hear cuckoo, black grouse, red grouse and a lot of wee birds that I wasnt too sure of what they were. I also seen 2 short eared owls, a sparrow hawk and 2 hen harriers. The bird calls was the best I've ever heard. From where I was sitting a beast walked out within range so I got a bonus too

Sat up last weekend waiting for a buck in a particular spot, heard a partridge for about 1/2 hour before it walked past within 10 feet. Watched a lesser spotted woodpecker tapping insects from a dead tree, 2 lapwings chasing each other around numerous chaffinch, goldfinch, wrens etc, heard the cuckoo but couldn't find it, it was fantastic. When the buck appeared he wasn't quite where I wanted him. I spent the next 25 minutes stalking him crosshairs on 4 times but no safe backstop. Just couldn't get on him but still a great morning
Wingy

heard my first one on Monday morning,3 weeks late this year.were full of badgers and buzzards to,kites havnt moved in properly yet but we see the odd one

Heard the first one on the 6th May also spotted the first Sand Martin burrows, up until 2 years ago i had only ever heard cuckoos but in may 2015 i actually saw one.

Ian.

First Cuckoo heard on the 27th April, they seem to arrive hear on Exmoor mid April although have seen one as early as 5th march

Not heard one for a coupla yrs in South Warwicks. We do like many others have a plethora of kites, buzzards and damned badgers. They are talking about a cull around here soon. They should just give me a licence, I know where all their earths are as you cannot miss them through night vision when out for the rabbits. Rabbits don't bother too much with daylight because of the kites/buzzards but night time comes along and the hills fill up once more.

Always plenty of woodpeckers. Love them.

You make a fair and valid point, but they are quite scarce and only do one nest, so I don't see them as quite the threat of corvids
MS
I think you will find that they do several nests MS. One egg in each one. Up to 22 in a season.
Heard one at Leavenheath in Suffolk last week. Good to hear.

Last edited:
I've never seen a cuckoo before, but out stalking this weekend I spent 1/2 hour watching 3 of them chasing each other about near Carsphairn. Took my mind off the midges for a bit:)

Back