Good days not so good days

Monday morning 4.15 am I met up with a client for an outing to grass his first buck ,an experienced shot he has shot a lot of deer in various parts of the world and he seemed a fit decent sort.
On to the estate approx. 4.500 acres of mixed woodland , farmland and a bit heather moorland ,
After about a hour spying the long woodland strips between fields of rape wheat etc I spoted a buck standing on the end of a line of oak trees he seemed to have a strange set of antlers but was to far away to really say what was wrong with them. We took a long detour to get down wind I was very aware of the clients footfall it being a tad heavy on twigs etc ,so a wee word in his ear and all seemed fine ,as we rounded a corner the buck was nowhere to be seen so we walked very very slowly until we saw the buck couched up at the end of the line of trees only 70 yds away . the minute I saw his head gear I was shocked both antlers were wound round each other a bit like a length of ivy wraps round a tree .
I handed the client the rifle told him to wait until the buck stands up and squeeze of a round .
after about twenty minutes the buck stood up the client put his check on the rifle I waited and waited then whispered when your ready take him now NOTHING the buck stared to walk away still broadside I gave him a whistle he stoped ,I waited NOTHING ,I asked the client if something was wrong he said no I can see him fine
at that he steped to the side crunch crunch the buck bolted barking like mad.
I asked the client what went wrong he said he never really felt in a comfortable shooting position ,although he was standing up and on sticks.
A long day after produced nothing and the client had enough he said he was done in but had a brilliant day.

Two days later I had a friend out for a buck and the first buck we saw was the one with the twisty antlers ,however a safe shot never presented itself so he settled for a wee buck at 12 kilos LW;

This morning around 5 am I was in another part of the estate when walking up a narrow strip of trees the dog stoped dead indicating in front I couldn't see anything at first when I looked back towards the dog a buck was standing only ten yards away with a single nasty looking antler was staring at the hound ,then within a second or two it was of barking like hell.

Twenty minutes later I was glassing the edge of a rape field and there was the twisty headed buck lying in the early morning sun on a grass bank approx. 200 yds away , along wet crawl to get to a fallen tree and as I lay on the wet grass I could hear the dog shaking the water from her ears ,thats it I thought but no the buck still lay on the bank. After ten minutes the buck stood up presented broadside I squeezed of a round bang bark running buck MISSED I watched him run of across two fields springing up in the air with every leap.
I checked the area for blood or pins nothing then ran the dog through three fields nothing .

It looks like this buck has a lucky side to him ,if I get him I will post picks on here .

Good days and not so good days but never a bad day when your stalking

Back