neck sizing ?

sampieman

Hi,
do you always need to neck size once fired brass ? i have some once fired that have not stretched little more than 0.001

Hi,
do you always need to neck size once fired brass ? i have some once fired that have not stretched little more than 0.001
I seldom neck size at all anymore. I FL resize. On calibers I have more the one rifle chambered for, I Small Base Full Length resize.~Muir

I one the other hand do not own the multiple rifles of all calibres that muir owns so have no multi rifle ammo requirements
i now neck size everything

brass lasts longer too

If it fits the chamber you can neck size it. My .270 brass is on it's 3rd or 4th firing using high pressure loads and still going strong. It started as once fired brass that I bought and I havent ever full length sized it.

I did neck size for a couple of reloads but then found about half wouldn't chamber so have gone back to FL sizing like Muir. I've not noticed any difference in brass life.

I am neck turning some new .284W cases because the rifle was made to take expanded 6.5 - 284 cases. After firing, the necks are .002 larger and the stained. Is this an indication that I turned them down too much?

Last edited:
I am neck turning some new .284W cases because the rifle was made to take expanded 6.5 - 284 cases. After firing, the necks are .002 larger and the stained. Is this an indication that i turned them down too much?

I will be neck turning for one calibre, just to remove any ovality

I only have one caliber (.308) and just have one of the little Lee Classic loader kits which only allows the option to neck size - So thats what I do.

For the target rifles we shoot at Bisley we just neck size as well. Not had any feed/bolt cycling issues in those rifles, but thus far in my hunting rifle I've only shot new brass even on my home loads.

Having not used a FL sizing die it would be good to know what difference it makes? Is it just a case of a smoother bolt cycle or are there definite benefits to FL sizing over just neck sizing?

Hi,

If you don't at least neck size once fired brass, the brass will not hold the bullets because of the lack of neck tension.

Hi
After I have fire sized my brass in my rifle I only neck size to get bullet tension, but I do find that after 4 or 5 sizing's I have to anneal the necks.

brass lasts longer too
Lyman reloading says otherwise....and i have found that generally, my cases last no longer when neck sized. I am at a disadvantage because I do have many rifles of like chamberings so I need to (want to) size the cases to factory spec so that they will chamber in all. This will reduce my case life when fired some of my rifles. However, when the dies are properly set to match one specific rifle's chamber, you will have cases that will chamber easily and last for quite a while.~Muir

It's astonishing to me that so many people believe brass cannot last a very long time if you full length resize cases.
If you only f/l size to SAAMI dimensions, that's certainly the case because each time you resize, the amount of movement (working) of brass, will make it brittle and fail within a relatively short time span.

BUT, if you carefully set your F/L sizing die to your fired case headspace dimension, so as not to move the case shoulder more than a couple of thou " each resizing and anneal cases each three or four reloadings, not only will you ensure very long lasting brass tuned to your rifle, but you also benefit from consistently reliable chambering and excellent accuracy.

It's so simple to just set your dies up properly to achieve this and also, with attention to detail, obtain great concentricity of case neck/body alignment.

Back