Where have all the people gone

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
It is not my intention to get into an argument but when I first got on this forum( the first time I have ever been on one) I was drawn to it by my love of deer stalking. Many of the people on it seemed generally interested in someone else's opinions and ideas. Now most of these folk's don't seem to be posting any topics now, is this because of the over powering view's of one or two regulars or are you all busy out stalking. ????
Do other forums turn out like this??? If so I think I will go and play with my reloading stuff.

WD

heads down

Hi Wayne,
I have found that as well. it maybe becuase we do the same topics almost to death pretty regularly - the my calibre is better than yours, ****ing competition etc.

I also found that whilst contributing to another forum i would give my opinion and advice and have found that there was always someone to assassinate them or me personally, always someone who was holier than thow. always someone more precious, so i stopped posting anything much and certainly nothing that someone else might like to tear strips from. It is a shame becuase i have lots of experience in subjects we all need to know about but not many of us do know about. But I don't post about them now.

so i keep my head down most of the time. Or spend a lot of time reloading.

swampy

Hope a few will come back

Thanks Swampy, I was worried it was just me. With a bit of luck a few will read this and see there are people interested in opinions other than there own.

WD

A lot of the hunting forums are a little slower right now because the weather is getting nicer and people are getting out more.

Unfortunately you will most likely encounter a troll or two on almost any forum. I hope that won't keep you from posting. I'm guessing the slow down is just due to people having other demands on their time.

GSG

Re: heads down

swampy said:
Hi Wayne,
so i stopped posting anything much and certainly nothing that someone else might like to tear strips from.

Oh come on Swamp. Never heard the phrase, nothing ventured nothing gained?

swampy said:
It is a shame becuase i have lots of experience in subjects we all need to know about but not many of us do know about.

Great a word puzzle. Are we allow to ask 3 questions or do we just make guesses.

I have one. It happens between your head and your toes, the more it happens the thinner it goes.

swampy said:
But I don't post about them now.

So how do you know not many of us know what you know?

swampy said:
so i keep my head down most of the time. Or spend a lot of time reloading.

Plenty of scope for experimentation reloading for a 30-06. At least it keeps you occupied 8)

out stalking

Hi Gsg
I hope you are right any way see what Monday brings. I'm away from my computer until then, stalking in Worcestershire tonight, Gloucestershire Saturday morning, Hampshire Saturday evening and back to Herefordshire on Sunday. Thats what I call a proper weekend.
Hope the missus is still there when I get back????

WD

Better get a move on then Wayne its gone 6-00pm :p

Enjoy yourself.

Swampy,

your right, I seem to have got involved in an argument / word slinging type of thing over a reloading costs. It is only light hearted and a bit of banter, but I have now pulled the plug on it I hope. You and Wayne are quite right, it is much safer to keep your head down. The manner of debating or discussing a subject seems to have got a bit off base, shame really, it's good to hear how other people do things, there is always something to learn.

John

Risen to the Bait

Hi Bradley
I wondered how long it would take you to barge in.
Never mind as I said I'm off stalking bugger the forum.
WD

I feel the same Wayne, I was enjoying the company of like minded people on this site. But I now feel that its becoming a competition to slag people down who's comments you may not necessaryly agree with.

Would they do this face to face, I don't think so!
Personally I am here to learn, but those with the loadest voices seem to have nothing to teach or offer no evidence to support their views.

This website is great, well presented, informative and allows stalkers of all levels of experience to learn something new. No one knows everything about stalking so why pretend you do?.

Please Gentlemen can we all get off our hobby horses and talk like grown ups! Can I also say thank you to the ladies on this site for leading by example. They are good sports and deal with quite alot of flak with good humour.

Re: Risen to the Bait

WAYNE DAVIES said:
I wondered how long it would take you to barge in.

No time at all as you can see 8)

Better move Wayne.The clocks ticking, It'll be getting dark in a couple of hours. Hope the traffics not to heavy, or you'll be lamping instead of stalking.

I've done my quota of stalking for this week. Time for some time off with the family :lol:

Carl Gustaf said:
Can I also say thank you to the ladies on this site for leading by example. They are good sports and deal with quite alot of flak with good humour.

Hear hear!

Could this lack of humour be a testosterone related condition?

Well when you can put up with the husband when he has had a bad days stalking and he is ranting non stop for 3-4 hours about it you can put up with anything :lol:

Just ignore the a**holes ,I do, even the P.M`s they send, don`t let them spoil it for the others who enjoy the site, if they get a reaction their happy, it`s probably the highlight of their week when someone answers their post on a forum !
They may get a life one day. :)
Your missus got alot to put up with Wayne.
I reckon it`s good to have a look at other peoples ideas and points of view, learn about diffferent places and people and way they do things.

proof in the pudding

well bradley, you have proved my point. I am off reloading, shooting or somewhere else

Hi Guys,

I have to admit this is the first forum I joined and at the outset felt it was the best thing since sliced bread, it is not often we get to share news and views with such a large audience. When the slagging matches began despite the rage I felt at some comments (the sexist comments etc) I chose not to get involved and have simply ignored any postings by the culprits. However what surprises me is the fact that the membership has increased by a massive amount even since I joined but for some reason the amount of new topics for discussion are not growing and even the older topics seem to have reached an end. This situation may be due to the holiday periods and the fact that early roebuck cull is now under way lets hope so.

Remmy7

Any forum that has a core group of dedicated people who want to have a civilized exchange will most likely do well. I always think of trolls as obnoxious children. Ignore their behavior and eventually it will stop. There will always be people who post things just to get a reaction. If they don't get one, they will go somewhere else to post.

Also, hopefully, the moderators will stop things before they get too out of hand. A difference of opinion is one thing. Name calling and general nonsense is quite another.

Personally, I've found most of the people on this forum to be very enjoyable. As one of the token Americans and females, I've felt quite welcomed. I guess what I'm saying is don't let a few bad apples spoil the entire experience. There's a lot of good information that can be shared here.

GSG

Remmy you are so right! I forget the good aspects of the site, I've learnt alot from many of the threads and feel that I am not alone in my concerns for our noble pursuit. I don't get to go stalking much but spend alot of my time watching deer at Cannock Chase, Bradgate Park and around my native Warwickshire.
Lady stalker my wife laughed at your comments, I am like a bear with a sore head if a stalk or a photo opportunity goes mamaries sky wards!
Even a bad stalk beats a good day watching football.
This weekend I am off watching muntjac as they chomp through a woodland full of blue bells. I'm hoping to get some good pictures.

No, this is a good site and there are some excellent comments posted, long may it reign! And may the keds loose interest and suck off somewhere else!

remmy7 said:
However what surprises me is the fact that the membership has increased by a massive amount even since I joined but for some reason the amount of new topics for discussion are not growing and even the older topics seem to have reached an end.

We are reaching the point of saturation in regards uk shooting web sites either solely dedicated to stalk such as this or with a wider subject base but with a stalking section. I can name 12 without having to work to hard.

If you look at their membership base whilst they may have hundred's of registered members the percentage posting on a regular basis is always under 20%. With many of those active members being active on other sites as well as the actual percentage of active posters is even smaller.

After a while the subject matter is done to death either on here or elsewhere.

Forum sites are no different to robust discussion down the pub or rugby club. If you cant handle a bit of banter or don't want to be criticised for your views and opinions then don't post. As has been said before "nothing ventured , nothing gained ".

Carl Gustaf said:
Remmy you are so right! I forget the good aspects of the site, I've learnt alot from many of the threads and feel that I am not alone in my concerns for our noble pursuit. I don't get to go stalking much but spend alot of my time watching deer at Cannock Chase, Bradgate Park and around my native Warwickshire.

I suppose that where the difference lies. There are those of us who get out there and do it a lot Stalking that is. :p Either by choice or by circumstance and employment, and there are those that just talk about it or think about it.

Back