Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of interest to all, (EX AR forum) via Mete.

Of interest to all, (EX AR forum) via Mete.

A Quarter Century after Chernobyl: Radioactive Boar on the Rise in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International a good piece about the effects of Chernobyl & the fallout both radioactive & financial.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    We will never know just how much damage Chernobyl really caused... and the small minds all say... "renewables is not a worthwhile source of energy so let's just build a whole load more nuclear plants" ... not rational.

The problem in Germany might be worse than here, but there is still a problem in the UK too as the following article describes, though evidently not Scotland, as of July 2010.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...t-2020059.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ogive View Post
    We will never know just how much damage Chernobyl really caused... and the small minds all say... "renewables is not a worthwhile source of energy so let's just build a whole load more nuclear plants" ... not rational.
    But do you know how many wind/wave renewables it would take to replace one nuclear power plant... in my opinion renewables aint worth the ground they are stood on...

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    A Quarter Century after Chernobyl: Radioactive Boar on the Rise in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International a good piece about the effects of Chernobyl & the fallout both radioactive & financial.
    If they start glowing in the dark does that mean you don't have to wait until the full moon for decent shooting opportunities?

I studied energy conversion whilst completing an engineering degree. Whilst it's true that there have been cock-ups and that we basically ran into nucleur power generation before having a clear understanding of the safety concerns and considersation, you cannot compare the design and operation of the Chernobyl reactors to those of the UK.

Our successive governments have effectively screwed us. The time for investing in the next generation of reactors was 20 years ago but unfortunately no-one had the balls to push it through and as such we now have reactors which are due or past due de-commissioning without replacements. People scream and wail about nucleur without actually considering the fact that it is the system by which we ensure a stable and secure supply country wide. Green methods will only ever be supplementary and there is absolutely no possibility of them replacing nucleur. Remember that it is physically impossible to store such quantities of energy; there is no battery type device.

Hydo is excellent of immediate supply to spikes in demand, like when the nation puts the kettles on after their favourite soaps. However its incredibly expensive as all that water that is released down the tube, to pass through the turbines must then be pumped back up to re-fill the reservoir. It takes alot more power to pump water uphill than what was originally generated.

Photo voltaic cell panels are a joke and whilst wind turbines can deliver power to remote locations, they're just no efficient. The scottish govt. recent published a report that they're keeping very quiet about. It essentially concludes that turbines will never 'pay' for themselves; they will never clear the offset of manufacturing, materials used, laying foundations and errecting. Therefore each and every wind turbine is a waste and actually costing us.
    Did you know that many of the turbines currently in operation have a major design flaw? The flexing of the turbine blades is transmitting down into the aluminium collars which are stressing and cracking. A solution has yet to be created and it is never publicised due to the resulting bad press.

Wave power generation is promising but at current efficiencies, we'd have to cover the coast of almost half the UK just to meet current demands. At present we also lack the infrastructure to actually draw the energy from such a system. The system has yet to be designed.

One of the best designs on the table at present is utilising the geo-thermal energy in Iceland to superheat steam which will then pass through turbines to convert to transmittable energy that can enter the country via a seabed layed cable system.

Account Suspended
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    I studied energy conversion whilst completing an engineering degree.
    Then you know that renewables have their place.

Hydo is excellent of immediate supply to spikes in demand, like when the nation puts the kettles on after their favourite soaps.
    See.

However its incredibly expensive as all that water that is released down the tube, to pass through the turbines must then be pumped back up to re-fill the reservoir. It takes alot more power to pump water uphill than what was originally generated.
    Pump water uphill???, in Scotland!!!... Nah! yer just messing with me now

Wave power generation is promising but at current efficiencies, we'd have to cover the coast of almost half the UK just to meet current demands.
    Wave power, "current demands".... hahaha (funny guy)

[QUOTE]One of the best designs on the table at present is utilising the geo-thermal energy in Iceland to superheat steam which will then pass through turbines to convert to transmittable energy that can enter the country via a seabed layed cable system.[QUOTE]

There you go... and no glowing piggies, I like it.

Oscillating between Chester and Berkshire
    Wave power generation is promising but at current efficiencies, we'd have to cover the coast of almost half the UK just to meet current demands. At present we also lack the infrastructure to actually draw the energy from such a system. The system has yet to be designed.
    A friend of mine is an oceanographer and has been doing a lot of work trying to ascertain the likely effects of tidal and wave power generation; basically, it seems likely that doing it enough to be useful is likely to cause some surprising outcomes in ocean currents, sea levels and tidal flows.

I personally dont think any one type of power is the answer what we need is a balance but a balance that pays for itself. And unfortunately at the moment that leaves us with coal with FGD capabillity, CHP, CCGT and Nuclear these are what will keep the lights on for the next few years and with no newer technologies being the answer then we need to start knocking a few more up or we will be screwed.

We could shove a few radioactive Boar in the furnace spaces!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!