First Fox

Farmer

I went out fox shooting for the first time last Friday with Tony. We shot seven cubs in a little over two hours using a variety of methods from baiting to calling or just turning the lamp on and shooting one that was stood there!
I 'phoned the farmer the next morning to let him know how we had done and he was over the moon. He lost lots of lambs in the winter/spring, and as he said 'cubs grow into foxes. That will save a few lambs next year'.
So we're off out again next week.

Attachments

• Stuarts Pics 056.jpg
    Stuarts Pics 056.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Stuarts Pics 055.jpg
    Stuarts Pics 055.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 92
I went out fox shooting for the first time last Friday with Tony. We shot seven cubs in a little over two hours using a variety of methods from baiting to calling or just turning the lamp on and shooting one that was stood there!
I 'phoned the farmer the next morning to let him know how we had done and he was over the moon. He lost lots of lambs in the winter/spring, and as he said 'cubs grow into foxes. That will save a few lambs next year'.
So we're off out again next week.
Congratulations and a good result. They look very small cubs for this time of year, I thought your cubs would be well on.

I find that mopping up cubs to protect lambs is like shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

The way to do it is do the dens in spring before the dog and vixen have to kill lambs to raise their cubs

Hi Dan,

We weren't out specificly looking for cubs, they just happened to be there and as they say 'beggars can't be choosers'.
I thought that they were small too, the biggest was the one I'm holding up. Hopefully the next time out we'll nobble some of the parents.
It's a 500 acre mixed farm and I'm still finding my way around, I haven't had it long but I can tell that there are plenty of foxes about just by the amount of droppings and odds and end of kills such as feathers and the odd lamb bone and such.
I've been looking for dens but to no avail, then again Mr & Mrs Fox aren't going to be in the phone book. I hope to have more luck finding them when the greenery dies back later on.

Nice shooting. ive shot quite a few over the past few weeks. Went out last week and had one run a mile as soon as I out the lamp on (with red filter) at 150 yards,a s it ran off I saw another waiting for it just inside the wood edge at 250 yards. I was thinking about taking the shot but thought Id try to call them in, they moved on and didnt come back. Very lamp shy, must be from another piece of land because mine dont normally get the chance to get used to the lamp. I shot 5 bunnies last night and planning to big them in along the same wood line tonight then leave a couple of days and drag and bait the last one(which will smell pretty bad by then!!). Hopefully this will keep them there long enough to get a shot off.

Apparently scattering dog biscuits on the ground is good, as they stop to eat them it gives you a chance to shoot.
Also, they're lighter to carry and don't stink. You can get a 400g bag in Liddels for about 70p.

Apparently scattering dog biscuits on the ground is good, as they stop to eat them it gives you a chance to shoot.
Also, they're lighter to carry and don't stink. You can get a 400g bag in Liddels for about 70p.

I like the sound of that idea!!!!My ruck sack is stinking at the momemt!!!

31 arrested on this farm since lambing started and two went missing.
HWH.
BUGGYCROWS011.jpg

WOW, that was a serious fox issue!!!! Nice shooting. Im out tomorrow to see if Charlie comes to my bated area..Will post an update

Back