Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay for stalking or dsc1

Pay for stalking or dsc1

I have been reading with interest the arguments for and against the dsc courses. It has made me wonder wether to continue paying for stalking, or put the money towards a dsc 1. I am a great believer in getting your hands dirty and would sooner learn in the field. It sounds to me as if all stalkers will need these qualifications soon. I am in the process of paying 242 for a 3 hour outing on cannock chase, red males and fallow. It is dear but i incur no travel costs as it is local to me. It is annoying, as what i will learn on a stalk is worth tenfold of what i can learn in a classroom. I am not saying dsc 1 is not beneficial, but very costly and probably sooner, rather than later mandatory for all stalkers. Has anyone got any good grounded advice. Stalk or classroom!

I am in a similar situation to you, New to stalking.
    I have been a few times, not shot anything but learnt a lot. The way i see it and take it is, i would rather do the course and learn all the legal,identification,meat handling etc correct from the start then go shoot a deer and do it wrong.
    I agree you will learn more form the field but i would rather do it right from the start and then learn other ways to do it, everyone has there own way / technique of doing things

Also every syndicate i have heard of going and threads on here and other place DSC1 is a minimum requirement to shoot/ join it and also insurance(which i have always had since i started shooting). Also i think the future will be DSC1 minimum to shoot/stalk deer

in the mean time i wouldn't stop going out stalking as it all goes toward the experience and learning

just my little bit of input, i'm sure there will be others with lots more info and experience than me who will help answer your questions

atb Richard
    UK GUNWORKS customized 260 AI on a Remmy 700 Blue printed action, Border barrel 1/8 twist, McMillan Hunter stock, Third eye sound mod, 20MOA rail, Rings and bolt knob, Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50 scope

Reply to snowz

I understand your points, i do not need to pay 300 approx, and lose 3 days work to learn the legalitys of shooting, or identifying species. I would need some guidance to gralloch neatly and identify glands etc. That could be done in the field. I do agree with your point on dsc1 being a necessary requirement to some areas of stalking. Thanks.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I understand your points, i do not need to pay 300 approx, and lose 3 days work to learn the legalitys of shooting, or identifying species. I would need some guidance to gralloch neatly and identify glands etc. That could be done in the field. I do agree with your point on dsc1 being a necessary requirement to some areas of stalking. Thanks.
    Here this link may help you
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/siteindex.aspx

Ny advice would be book yourself in for DSC1 and get as much information you can prior to doing the course then you can go in prepared,

Try to get some shooting practice in on one of the range days that caters for the discipline
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 01-08-2010 at 21:05.

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    You could just buy the Level 1 manual, read it and practice the questions then book for an assessment only, i.e. turn up do the shooting tests then the multi-guess exams.

In my opinion the better course of action would be to get the DSC done and dusted. It can only help in the long run. I work for a large conservation agency and we wont entertain stalkers without level 2 mostly. The people that make these rules have no idea what level 2 is and nothing about deer management (i have pointed out a few flaws in their deer management policy ............. to no avail) but they have heard that there are qualifications and have decided that everyone should have them.

The DSC will benefit you long after the memory of the stalk fades and in the future it will help with getting your own stalking permission.

I dont have DSC, i dont stalk on anyone elses land but i will be doing it as soon as work allows because the only people that will loose out are those that dont have it

Dan

"I am a great believer in getting your hands dirty and would sooner learn in the field. It sounds to me as if all stalkers will need these qualifications soon. I am in the process of paying 242 for a 3 hour outing on cannock chase, red males and fallow. It is dear but i incur no travel costs as it is local to me. "

Eddie,
    Just a suggestion, I can see that you are eager to get going but have an eye on your costs and thats not a bad thing so why not wait a while for the Doe/Hind season. That should start to bring your cost down for your stalking and allow some investment in L1. I did mine in 2002 and have no regrets, I also feel it will add to your stalking experience when out in the field as you will find that things learnt or confirmed in a classroom situation will increase your confidence and enjoyment. Hope that helps.

Regards,
    John.

Sorry Eddie but it seems to me that you've made your decision about the direction that you want your stalking to go in.

You are happy to pay 242 for one 3hr outing but are trying to talk yourself out of spending 60 more to do a DSC1 course.

This is not meant as a criticisum mate, in fact it reiterates the point that I frequently seem to be making, that is, DSC (1&2) are not compulsory and they are not for everyone.

Its your hard earned cash at the end of the day, spend it how you choose.

One final thing that I would add is this, whatever you decide about DSC, please don't whine and moan about it until done it and have first hand experience of the course!

Final final thing! Enjoy your stalking and don't let the DSC/no DSC thing give you ulcers and heart attacks!

Best wishes, JC

Eddie....

I have been managing captive and wild deer for 10 years and was firmly of the mindset of 'what the hell is classroom based teaching going to teach me that I don't know already'

How wrong I was, the DSC1 filled in many gaps in my knowledge that means I now enjoy stalking even more. Holding a DSC1 also keeps your FLO happy.

Hope you don't mind me saying .... you seem to be paying over the odds for your stalking.

Pay for stalking or DSC1

Hi

like most stalkers in this country I object to the well meaning organisations/quangos that abound in this country and especially those who inflict unnecessay costs and qualifications upon us.
    however having said that remenber the expression that 'knowledge is power'.
    After many years I did a DSC1 at Minsterly ranges and enjoyed every minute of the course finding not just that the knowledge that I had gathered over the years was pertinant but the interchange between the others on the course made it all worth while.We as stalkers all have bad habits self taught or otherwise, a DSC1 smooths these off and refocuses our knowledge.
    pay for the course,enjoy yourself in the company of like minded people.stop taking overpriced stalking and do the job correctly.

Kit