Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What scope to use?

What scope to use?

Looking for some advice Guy's!

In the process of buying a 308 to go with my 243. The reason i am wanting a 308 is that i shoot a lot of Sika and looking for a bit more stopping power for the forth-coming days on stags. The dilemy i have is what scope to use?
    I have a fixed 8/56 "Shmidt & Bender" on my 243, and i have a "Leupold" 4/10/50 VX111 Iluminated spare, what do yo think? the vairiable on the 308 or swap the fixed over to the 308??

A mate of mine is in a similar situation. If I was you I would put the 8x56 on a .308 win to make a great wild deer/woodland/last light/knock 'um down type set up then put the Leupold on the .243 win for precision work. These two rigs will complement each other nicely. JC

can't tell you for sure, but I would use the S&B on whichever species you shoot in poor or fading light conditions - due to the superior optics and higher mag on the objective lens. The Leupold is great for more open ground and the off-requirement for a longer shot....of course, the Leupold is illuminated, which would be better in poor light!....

S&B

This might answer your question.

308 calibre with S&B 8x56, works for me!

you can use the fixed power and a4 reticle as a basic range finder when you get used to it.

and remember if you are pulling the trigger in very poor or last light you need a dog as well as a good scope.

No Brainer for me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blackberry pictures 28th December 2008 073.jpg  

Agree with the boys above. If the Sika in Scotland behave like they do here in NI, you will be shooting in the last few minutes of light. I would put the S&B 8x56 on the 308, no question.

The Leupold VXIII's are pretty good, but they will fail in low light before the Schmidt.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I would agree with all the above go for the fixed 8x56. I have several zooms and a fixed 10x56 IOR and that is my favourite by far! Great light gathering and nothing to fiddle with - just concentrate on the shot!!

Sell the Luepold, replace with a Ziess or S&B. In that last 10 mins of light Luepold are poor.

A

I agree s&b on the .308 the 8x56 is very good in low light conditions

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    A mate of mine is in a similar situation. If I was you I would put the 8x56 on a .308 win to make a great wild deer/woodland/last light/knock 'um down type set up then put the Leupold on the .243 win for precision work. These two rigs will complement each other nicely. JC
    Im with JC on this one. Just what I was thinking! They sound like there going to be two nice set-ups.

Roe

Quote Originally Posted by Alycidon View Post
    Sell the Luepold, replace with a Ziess or S&B. In that last 10 mins of light Luepold are poor.

A
    Totally agree better to do it sooner than later as i recon you'll have enough of the luepy one day why not get another 8x56 secondhand shouldn't put you out of pocket much if at all.
    Neil.