What's the best way of mounting full skull roe on to a plaque

pete

What's the best way of mounting full skull roe on to a plaque (no lower jaw) i normally cut half cut but these are medal class and want to get him on the wall. Many thanks Pete

I'm doing one at the moment but rather than a plaque I'm mouthing it on a slab of oak and it will be displayed table top rather than wall mounted. I'll get some pics when I finish, or might take something half way through to give you an idea.

Either buy a specific clamp made to fits inside the atlas joint cavity or seat a nut within the cavity against a bed of putty that will set hard. You will then be able to secure the head to the shield from the back of the shield.... failing this you could just whack a 3" hex screw straight though its forehead.

Either buy a specific clamp made to fits inside the atlas joint cavity or seat a nut within the cavity against a bed of putty that will set hard. You will then be able to secure the head to the shield from the back of the shield.... failing this you could just whack a 3" hex screw straight though its forehead.

..........Should have done that with the original shot. :rofl:

BC...

I'll skip the screw idea...for now!
I have some of the clamps you can buy, good for a cut head but don't fit in the cavity for a full head. I'll try the nut seating and see how it goes.
Cheers!

I'm doing one at the moment but rather than a plaque I'm mouthing it on a slab of oak and it will be displayed table top rather than wall mounted. I'll get some pics when I finish, or might take something half way through to give you an idea.

This is what I did (in case you didn't see the other thread).

Attachments

• IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 136
Been trying to find a good way of doing this myself and came up with this. M8 nut fixed in atlas joint with putty and then bolted to shield. Simply screw the bolt in or out to accommodate antlers that might sit past the back of the shield. Brown or white insulation tape might help disguise any visible section of bolt.

What a monster.lol. Thought I better practice before I ruin my good heads.

(Can't get the image to display the right way up)

IMG_6110.JPG

Last edited:
The metal plates can be difficult to mount properly. The easiest way that I've found is to drill 2 holes in the shield and secure it with a cable ties, making sure it is straight before final tightening.

Attachments

• 20160807_200727.jpg
    20160807_200727.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 55
Just drill and countersink from the back of the shield and use a self tapping screw into the thick bone below the atlas joint, just drill a decent pilot hole. Strong, simple and cheap.

Back