Thread: Slightly Odd Behaviour

Slightly Odd Behaviour

I have an out of the way part of my permission that doesnt get much action and I dont go up there too often.

In the last few days I have been snooping up there to see whats what and on each occasion i have rustled my way up through the crop to the corner of the field and the same young Roe buck has hopped out of the hedge line no more than 50m away had a look at me and then jumped back in again. He looks to be a yearling and I havent seen any does in that are before.

Is it possible that he is young and stupid and hopes the noise is a Doe given that we are definately in rut at the moment (we being the roe not me!)?

Wow 70 views and not a single opinion?

Maybe:

1) It's not 'odd behaviour' for a young buck who has been kicked out of the prime spots by the more mature competition.

2) Everyone is wondering why he's still hopping out of the hedge and isn't in your freezer.

I'll open if you like Pat. Four years ago I had a similar situation. Roe are thinly spread over my ground (nowhere is there a heavy concentration). When walking one field to get to a lookout point I came across a young buck on three occasions middle of June to first week in July. He would be on a 100 yard section of hedge, run out into the crop and watch me go by. I put him down to be a yearling pushed out from somewhere. Woods just over the boundary are much more attractive than mine and I assumed he came from there and went back when safe to do so.

I have a roe calling CD, I think by Richard Prior and he says in this that the guy that taught him to call walked to the call point and rustled leaves on arrival. His reasoning being bucks may come to investigate something in their territory.

It sounds to me like you have a young buck that is trying to establish his own territory after probably being pushed out to the boundary by a stronger fiter buck.
    These young bucks are generaly quite inquisitive which can often prove there downfall as they will often appear from nowhere upon a stalker/walkers approach to see what the commotion is probably hoping its another deer entering there patch, i say there patch as i have a doe who has also done the same on my ground and she has been in the same [poor] area for five years now and it can be a dissappointing stalk if she doesnt put in an appearance.
    With the young bucks however i find on my ground that they will stay in a poorer areas for about six months to a year while they put on some weight and gain there confidence but then they move on or try to extend there territory and only occasionaly do they stay put.
    Its obviously up to you but i would be temted to let him stay there and keep your fingers crossed that he claims the area as his own and stays as already he has increased your interest on what was a rather poor area of your permission and at worst you can catch up with him at a later date if he moves into your main stalking ground.
    Plus i bet you will go back to that area again just to see if he is still there making you cover more of your ground and who knows what else might put in an appearance en~route .
    ATB
    RICK O SHEA

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Maybe:

1) It's not 'odd behaviour' for a young buck who has been kicked out of the prime spots by the more mature competition.

2) Everyone is wondering why he's still hopping out of the hedge and isn't in your freezer.
    Honestly I didnt have the heart to shoot him. Theres a fine line betwen sport and asking him to walk directly in to the freezer

Interesting points about him getting displaced. Sounds like that may have hit the nail on the head. I think Ill leave him be for a few months and see if he ripens lol

Had exactly the same last night. Young buck 100 yds down the field edge. He then trots towards me and stands inside the first tramline 20 yds from me munching the heads off the wheat. Had to tell him to bugger off before he moved on. He's next years breeding stock.

Question - if we didn't concentrate on the wee scruffy bucks, wouldn't the all grow into good mature bucks? And we could then concentrate the cull on more bigger and better animals?
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 04-08-2010 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by WiltsPat View Post
    Honestly I didnt have the heart to shoot him. Theres a fine line betwen sport and asking him to walk directly in to the freezer

Interesting points about him getting displaced. Sounds like that may have hit the nail on the head. I think Ill leave him be for a few months and see if he ripens lol
    i watched a young button buck for 35 minutes about six weeks ago, he came to about 15 yards of the high seat,
    i like you had two choices,

1, 243 tablet and some /very little meat from a young beast.
    2, leave and let mature for next year and if no better then take him.

needless to say i choose 2..

that to me is the difference between a stalker and a conscientious stalker.

he managed to survive one of the roughest winters we have seen and deserves a chance.. why should i end it...
    will wait and see if he makes it to next year.

f.