Anyone SQWV Quality Assured?

Dan Gliballs

Application sent away Friday for QA, just need to get a couple bits done in the larder.

How did you get round the chiller temp records requirement?

Dan i was going to set up my wee chil and get it done i was told that there is no benifit at the moment and that records are not kept. 2 PER KILO FOR ROE even if you get the SQWV assured so no benifit no move i was also told that the beasts (roe that is) need to be 25lb or over this will mean that most of the winter cull will fall short of that so most of the lads from my group will go back to self process just the way it is.

It is of benefit to us, at 10p/kilo extra, it fair mounts up when on a good year there can be 300 or so through the larder.

The chill is very efficient, Ive seen it down to -16 when the stat broke. The problem is that the chiller temp needs to be recorded twice a day and the records kept for 2 years. Looks like Il need to fit a tachograph type recording system.

The SQWV standards/requirement pack arrived in the post this morning. It looks like the larder is up to scratch, maybe need to fit some knee operated taps but thats it.

Hi Dan,
Do you really need to fit a chart recorder? you will still need to change the chart every so often anyway. surely you will only need to check the temps when there are deer in the chiller. it might be easier to record manually and perhaps fit a digital low temp alarm. i supose it depends on the location of your chiller. We use a wireless system called i spy but it's very complicated and needs a PC to run it. one other thing is that if you are using your chiller temp as a CCP then you will need to have calibration records for whatever equipment you use to log temperatures, this will be easier with a hand held thermometer rather than a chart recorder.

Ezzy

Hi Dan,
Do you really need to fit a chart recorder? you will still need to change the chart every so often anyway. surely you will only need to check the temps when there are deer in the chiller. it might be easier to record manually and perhaps fit a digital low temp alarm. i supose it depends on the location of your chiller. We use a wireless system called i spy but it's very complicated and needs a PC to run it. one other thing is that if you are using your chiller temp as a CCP then you will need to have calibration records for whatever equipment you use to log temperatures, this will be easier with a hand held thermometer rather than a chart recorder.

Ezzy
We have deer in the chiller all year round and the requirements are temp readings to be taken twice daily whilst deer are stored.

This just ISNT practical, the chiller is 50yrds from my house but its just another hassle taking readings morn and night.

The digital control panel already has alarms for hi/lo temperatures but thats not good enough.

The tacho style units do a week at a time.

Last edited:
After your post I also had a look a automatic recording for my cold store.

I found this one its a bit cheaper if you havent already ordered.

http://www.loggershop.co.uk/logtag/logtag-data%20loggers/logtag-trix-8-temperature-data%20logger/prod_172.html

About £55 with the dock and £20 each tag
Good find, much and such the same thing with a fiver difference.

Its always the way isnt it? You think you find a bargain, you buy it and a similar item pops up cheaper!

Well...job jobbed.

Officially QA'd.

Only non compliance was that the chiller doors cannot be opened from inside the chiller, il sort that soon enough.

Back