Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butollo call on Roe

Question Butollo call on Roe

Hi All

Bought one of these last year all be it a bit too late so figured I would give it a go this year.

Did take it out with me the other evening but saw a buck before it did me and it was just walking down a dyke side towards me so I just got on the sticks and waited, so never got chance to use it

However I am now wanting to try it so would love any advice that people can give on where / how to use it and especially what time of day / best weather ?

Some bits I have found on it seem to suggest you can call them in through the day ?

TIA

Paul

paul,

you may as well ask what saturdays numbers are mate....

not meaning to be sarcky saying that but there are far to many variable's involved in using a call

some say morning
    some say evening
    some say when damp and cool
    some say mid morning
    some say early afternoon

you get what i am saying

the best way to work out your ground is to sit on your axx and watch watch and do some more watching.

if not go for a walk and try n bluff it. you never know you may get lucky.

imho that is

frank

Paul,

I shot a Buck Saturday morning using the Buttalo. I cant say whether he came to the call or i was just in the right place at right time.

I have shot 4 Bucks over the last ten days 2 i could say i called the other 2 i was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I would say the Buttalo is a good piece of kit but dont rely on it field craft and patience is the key to success.

Regards Dalkur

Just about the only thing that is for certain about roe calling, whatever call you use, is, if you get in wrong you will spook the deer.

Nothing beats being in the woods at this time of year and hearing a doe calling for real. Failing that get Richard Priors CD, its donkeys years old (both the CD and Mr P!) but still very relevant.

Calling is fantastic when it all comes together and quite frustrating when it doesn't.

I personally like the little cherry wood call.

JC

Two nights ago I took a guest out to where I knew a decent mature buck was working. We walked up to the rise where I had seen him from often. Lo- there he was nibbling some shoots totally unaware of us. I put down the bipod legs and laid the rifle gently down. The guest carefully got to his knees then made to lie down. An almighty screech then came from his pocket as he lay on his Butallo. The buck was last seen galloping away into the thicket. Yes a sucessful call.

David

Thanks everyone for your advice, off out later today to give it a go.............

The Richard Prior Roe Calling CD is very good. You can get it from the BDS shop.

I bought one a few weeks ago, and have tried it on a couple of times. First time out I was sat in a high seat against a wood looking out over a wheatfield. I gave the buttalo a couple of squeks, and a buck came out of the wood a couple of minutes after...he may well have appeared anyway, but at least it didn't spook him.
    Went out again last night, and tried to call two bucks that where each with a doe, and although their ears pricked up, that was the full extent of their interest...which makes sense, I suppose. I then saw a single buck working along the hedge on the far side of a stubble field; although he didn't come running straight towards me, he did cross the field to within about 75 yards which was good enough.
    So, whilst I can't say it has produced the results that I've witnessed others achieve, it hasn't hampered me....yet.

dont over use it!

i have very ;limited experience with calls full stop
    but from what ive seen of the buttalo ( same for other calls?) it either works or not end of!!

my advice ( coming from one of little knowledge / experience ) or should i say...my gut tells me to give it a go but if nowt happening leave it...more likely to spook stuff.

i was out couple of nites ago and tried it....i didnt see owt but my brother just whispered "keep calling theres a buck coming"

i just caught a glimpse of him but he came down field edge a wee bit then almost like " ach cant be bothered" just stopped and slowly diddled into the woods without stopping.
    we werent hoping for much as we watching 2 does in field o crop beside us and they didnt have any bucks on them...so rut here in angus not on just yet but surely cant be far off!!

i know one guy local who was stalking and was crossing a fence and his buttalo went off in his pocket and as he turned after crossing there was bloody stonker standing 40 -50 yds in front of him all fired up

sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I bought one a few weeks ago, and have tried it on a couple of times. First time out I was sat in a high seat against a wood looking out over a wheatfield. I gave the buttalo a couple of squeks, and a buck came out of the wood a couple of minutes after...he may well have appeared anyway, but at least it didn't spook him.
    Went out again last night, and tried to call two bucks that where each with a doe, and although their ears pricked up, that was the full extent of their interest...which makes sense, I suppose. I then saw a single buck working along the hedge on the far side of a stubble field; although he didn't come running straight towards me, he did cross the field to within about 75 yards which was good enough.
    So, whilst I can't say it has produced the results that I've witnessed others achieve, it hasn't hampered me....yet.
    I have had some success with the Butallo, at different times of day for example last Wednesday evening at 6.30 pm
    I called three Bucks at the same time, made a series of calls at woodland edge and had three Bucks within 100 yards of me all at the same time. At other times I have had Bucks completely ignore the call, there are so many factors to consider weather calling is always more successful in thundery weather, also Roe make a lot of different calls a Doe coming in to heat makes a different sound from one in full heat kids make a different sound if you can make the sound of a kid you will attract a Doe if she has a Buck in attendance he will come also.

Its difficult to attract a Buck who is already with a Doe it can sometimes be done but you need a much more aggressive squeak than normal.

Quote: Richard Prior. Calling works best between 8.00am and 3.00pm and is more likely to produce results in hot or thundery weather, unless he is quite fevered with the rut he will come quietly, weighing up the situation before committing himself to the open. A place which is open enough to allow the Buck to be seen at a reasonable range but with enough bushes or undergrowth to make him feel safe is worth trying.

Early in the rut, the Doe is very particular about the partner she is prepared to accept as a suitor. Equally she is very jealous of any attempt that he might make to wander off and philander. this means that where the sex ratio is reasonably level, calling can be very unrewarding until mating has taken place. Curiously enough, after that a free for all can develop where Bucks can be seen mating with several different Does who appear to be equally promiscuous.
    It may be a provision of nature to ensure that the maximum of Does are safely pregnant. At all events, these are the conditions when suddenly calling is easy and Bucks appear from all directions. End quote.