Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a lot of deer !

What is a lot of deer !

When reading through the post members often quote ." I shoot a lot of Sika" ," I shoot a lot of Fallow" . What is a lot ?

good hunting Chill123

I would say it would have to be at least 100 to be a lot.

A hundred deer a year would not be a bad minimum numner of deer a year to be shooting before anyone can become an aw for dsc2

Imho, it also depends where there are shot, only talking to some one last week about the comeing season etc, the comment was im sick of shooting Deer 300+ a year!!!!!!! i then found out he has "NEVER EVER" Shot a wild Deer, his where "ALL" shot in Park's and Farm's. Also are the Deer shot out of season!!!!! shot at night!!! shot in England or Scotland!!!!!!! is he getting paid to shoot them!!!!!! For my self from 1.8.2010 to 1.3.2011 i will exspect to cull 150-200 Wild free roaming Fallow 7-10 Red's + munty's also the odd Roe, cwd fingers crossed a few Sika, i "DONT" get paid or contract stalk or shoot Park or Farmed Deer.

Echo above; who is likely to be the better stalker the guy who shoots 30 woodland roe or the guy who shoots 100 park deer?

Answer could be either but I know who I would have my money on.

Dave

Well i am an AW and i only shoot 40-50 a year and i know that out of all my friends and group members i shoot the most so thats hit me on the head (MR SWEEP )will hand my AW cert back to DMQ pronto . PS I ALSO WORK HARD AT MY OWN JOB.

Now i regularly (time of year dependent) see 11-15 roe in a neighbouring valley, entirely depends on where, when and what. If only they would head my way, a warm barrell and empty mag would be nice!
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus

PS I ALSO WORK HARD AT MY OWN JOB.[/QUOTE]

And i do "TO" Choc a Welder/fitter

Interesting one, very much depends on where you are. I shoot about 8 - 10 per year only. We don't have big numbers here in NI, and I don't think there are many here shooting for a game dealer.

An English friend of mine shot 42 last January alone. He shoots about 150 per year mainly Fallow and Roe, all wild, and he does a full time job forby.

A bloke down in Wicklow told me he either guides clients onto, or shoots himself about 400 per year, all Sika.

If you try telling this to your average yank they will call you a liar, 2 or 3 tags a year is a lot for them.

Big debate on a US site last year where they couldn't or wouldn't believe it was possible to shoot 1,000 in a lifetime. I laughed and said nothing.

Know a guy runs a DM company, culls MOD land etc. He is shooting certainly hundreds per year, maybe 300-400.

Extraction and carcass prep are likely to be the big time consumers when you start getting into big numbers.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 02-08-2010 at 17:01.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by sweep 6.5x55 View Post

A hundred deer a year would not be a bad minimum numner of deer a year to be shooting before anyone can become an aw for dsc2
    i cant see how you justify that statement let alone post it on a thread labelled what's a lot of deer.

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    Echo above; who is likely to be the better stalker the guy who shoots 30 woodland roe or the guy who shoots 100 park deer?

Answer could be either but I know who I would have my money on.

Dave
    I think that anyone who has done any ammount of both park and wild deer work will agree that each has its own challenges, alot of which are not apparent until you try it. I think it would be a foolish person who would nail his colours to the mast and say one is more difficult than the other. I often have a smile when I hear people say, or insinuate, that park deer culling is like shooting fish in a barrel! JC