Alberta Spring Bear

I thought some of you might enjoy and perhaps relate to this . A number of years ago , I became involved in a first time hunter mentoring program . To be honest , it's been one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things I've ever done .
The young hunter in this picture immigrated here from Glasgow about 4 years ago . He contacted me about getting into hunting and acquiring his first rifle . Long story short , we have become good friends and he has become a successful and responsible hunter . He's taken a number of animals in his short career using an old , but accurate and reliable , Husqvarna in 8X57 Mauser that I put together for him .`

IMG_3795.jpg

One animal he's been very keen to take is a Black Bear . After a few close encounters without success , an opportunity came up locally . A local rancher has been having problems with bear predation on his calves , this big cinnamon was the main culprit . He even took a run at the ranchers wife while she doing some chores . Luckily , their dog was with her and drove him off . Needless to say , his number was up . Scott was given the opportunity to take him . The Bear had developed some predictable habits and would move through the same trails daily , bad idea . After a bit of scouting , a stand was picked out and the waiting began . Only a few hours had passed , when Scott heard something behind him ( it's funny how often that happens ) after several agonizing minutes this big guy stepped into the open and stared directly at Scott from about 50 yards away . He was aware of Scott but didn't seem to be worried about his presence . After a few calming breaths , Scott placed the 8MM 200 gr Speer perfectly . The bear , which measures 6 foot nose to tail and just under 300 pounds , ran about 40 yards before piling up . In short , he made a great shot in spite of the first time nerves .
Scott now has a beautiful cinnamon bear hide , a lot of delicious meat and the ranchers a happy camper . A great day for all , and I'm glad I had a small part in it . I apologize for the turned photo , for some reason this is the only way I can get it to post .

AB

Great story, thanks.

i really haven't paid attention over the last few years, but I thought Quebec and BC were the only provinces that still had spring seasons?

Great story, thanks.

i really haven't paid attention over the last few years, but I thought Quebec and BC were the only provinces that still had spring seasons?

Alberta and Saskatchewan still have spring bear hunts . I may be wrong , but I think Newfoundland does as well .

AB

That's cool!
Being an ignorant Brit, until a few years ago I thought that bears were only killed for the trophy, but the fact that the meat is being used makes it even better.

Awesome write up I bet he's well chuffed he found someone to guide him on the correct path, I will one day book an outfitter, this is high on my list to take a bear with bow and see some amazing scenery at the same time, keep posting your adventures, Atb wayne

That's cool!
Being an ignorant Brit, until a few years ago I thought that bears were only killed for the trophy, but the fact that the meat is being used makes it even better.

I've always liked bear meat myself . It's very similar to pork . I prefer spring bear as it has very little fat as they've just emerged from hibernation . Like pork , bears can also carry Trichinosis , so the same precautions regarding cooking it apply . I'll be getting some bear steaks from Scott this weekend , perfect on the BBQ .

AB

Awesome write up I bet he's well chuffed he found someone to guide him on the correct path, I will one day book an outfitter, this is high on my list to take a bear with bow and see some amazing scenery at the same time, keep posting your adventures, Atb wayne

I have several friends who specialize in Spring Bear with bow and rifle . They're very affordable hunts and are a great introduction into hunting this part of the world . Be warned , this place gets in your bones , just ask stalker308 . He's been out three times now lol . If you're interested drop me a line .

AB

Thats sounds a great time out with a good calibre and a great bear too.

Can I ask..est weight of the bruin?

How much to tan a bear hide (flat head)

Thats sounds a great time out with a good calibre and a great bear too.

Can I ask..est weight of the bruin?

How much to tan a bear hide (flat head)

He was just under 300 pounds . A flat mount will run about 400 to 500 CDN , depending on the size of the bear .

AB

Have you ever made a ham out of a bear leg AB?

Not personally , but have had a few done for me over the years . I knew an old Ukranian gentleman who had an amazing gift for smoking any game perfectly . They tasted fantastic . He also smoked a few Porcupine for me as well . Some might be a bit turned off by the thought , but to this day , smoked Porci is still one of my favorites .

AB

Back