Your thoughts on this...........

basil

Distinguished Member
I love playing with new ideas.
How do you think Venison and Pork would go together?

A loaf tin lined with smoked bacon.
Equal amount of cubed Venison and Pork mixed up with a packet of Apple and Herb stuffing and add a few extra herbs.
Fill the loaf tin and fold the bacon over the lot.
Wrap in foil and cooked on a very low heat for a few hours.

Any thoughts?
basil.

I used to make my sausages with a mixture of minced bacon, venison and a packet of Paxo stuffing.
I used to get the packets of bacon off cuts that were normally sold off cheap, when minced and mixed it didn't make any difference what shape it was originally but it added a bit of fat to the sausage and gave them a nice texture.
The packet of Paxo sage and onion stuffing just added a bit of a herby taste.

Hello Eddie, hope you are well.
None of this is minced and pork has a different texture to bacon. I do see where you are coming from though.
Rick O`shea is closest to me so i reckon he`ll be a willing gineae pig!!
basil.

Basil,
Sounds like a bit like a game terrine I make. Line a Baking tin with bacon, and then a layer of sausage meat mix, then alternate with a layer of game (whatever you've got...including venison) and more sausage mix etc. Fold the ends of the bacon rashers over the top, cover with foil & cook in a roasting tin filled with an inch or two of water for a couple of hours. Serve cold with salad and plenty of red wine.

Done someting much the same as this and the family loved it. I do alot of just putting things together to see how it tastes.

Basil,
Sounds like a bit like a game terrine I make. Line a Baking tin with bacon, and then a layer of sausage meat mix, then alternate with a layer of game (whatever you've got...including venison) and more sausage mix etc. Fold the ends of the bacon rashers over the top, cover with foil & cook in a roasting tin filled with an inch or two of water for a couple of hours. Serve cold with salad and plenty of red wine.
Hello mate, hope you are well.
I`ve done the turrines but i use stuffing instead of sausage meat. If you want to try something different, very finely chop up some carrot and celery and run it through your sausage meat. You could also add a layer of sweet potato to the top of the meat before you fold the bacon over.
I`m just looking for something that adds a different texture and gives a different presentation.
basil.

Back