Advice on Powder Throwers for speeding up reloading

As a new thrower user, perhaps maidment78 could tell you how he is getting on with the RCBS thrower that I sold him.
I think he is trickling the last few kernels.

With the right powder - ball, N120 up to N140 etc - my Harrel is more accurate and reliable than my digital scales. They are +/- 0.2grains, the Harrel does better than that. It won't manage large kernel powders.

BR shooters use Harrells without scales and load on the point for the conditions. Loads are often quoted as a Harrel drum reading.......

I've used an rcbs powder thrower for 16 years ish.i always thought it was pretty accurate but I've been trickling powder for maybe 6 or 7 years.i tested the throwers accuracy on a Gempro 250 several months ago and it would vary 0.5grs.i am not really sure how another thrower would do it any better....?

I had a Gempro and was not impressed with it at all.
I could trickle up to a weight, then pick up and replace the pan a few times and get a different weight each time. I would also then replace the empty pan and find the zero was now off too.
I think the 0.02gn alleged precision offered by the readout is tempting, but in reality the scale is not precise enough to make use of it.
I now use Lee throwers and trickle up on accurised 505s with a Targetmaster for peace of mind, but I haven't actually noticed improved groups over using just the throwers.
It might be worth noting that David Tubb throws all his loads for 600 yards and under and seems to do OK.

Last edited:
I had a Gempro and was not impressed with it at all.
I could trickle up to a weight, then pick up and replace the pan a few times and get a different weight each time. I would also then replace the empty pan and find the zero was now off too.
I think the 0.02gn alleged precision offered by the readout is tempting, but in reality the scale is not precise enough to make use of it.
I now use Lee throwers and trickle up on accurised 505s with a Targetmaster for peace of mind, but I haven't actually noticed improved groups over using just the throwers.
It might be worth noting that David Tubb throws all his loads for 600 yards and under and seems to do OK.

I bought a 2nd hand Gempro from a member on here 6 months ago.

I have a RCBS thrower, a set of RCBS 10/10 scales and the Gempro.

The Thrower manages +/- 0.5 grains. The scales are difficult to read precisely, probably =/- 0.1 or 0.2 grains.

The Gempro is a little fussy when you first tun it on. I put a case on and off it several times until it returns to zero each time. I also put the tray back on it between loads to ensure it's on zero for each one.

However, my ES and SD has reduced significantly since I started using the Gempro. I rarely get ES over 20 or SD in double figures. I found a great load for the 6.5 Lapua yesterday with 5 shots showing ES or 2.3 and SD of 1.2. My groups have tighter up accordingly.

It has improved the consistency of my reloading significantly, but it does need a bit of patience to get right.

The digital scale seemed fiddly and the measurement and zero wander put me off.
Does yours require rezeroing from time to time?

Back