s/scotland

MrYou

A good bud has asked me to test the water, for stalking/ hunting syndicate in southern scotland ,west side ..... he has 160 acre of woodland & open roughland, approx 65/35 . He has a good number of european reds & some roes, as well as the usual pigeon,rabbit etc. what number of persons would be ok, for a syndiacte & how much for a reasonable price would the lease be worth for stalking? he is thinking of introducing goats for scrub clean up, & boar. Thanks

Last edited:
106 acres surely not big enough to sustain syndication interest is it? I may me wrong ,probably better letting the occasional day out accompanied on an infrequent basis I would have thought.

S Scotland is a wide are. Are we talking east or west. 160 acres is not really viable for holding that many deer. Transient deer however flow through certain areas. Ash holds a lease where though few resident reds they transit through the area giving opportunity. East scotland could be of interest and I know others who may be interested. It would need a survey if no cull figures are available. If I can help give me a shout.
Jim

Hmmm i would have thought 160 acre , quite a bit of woodland, especially to sit or stalk , on a warm day (like now ) it quite hard work tracking & wandering around. There are some good places to sit, if you a fisherman type hunter. its west coast

Last edited:
160 acres is really not much.

As Jimbo says, it might be of some use if it's a sweet spot but even so your options to stalk are likely to be very limited. It's probably just a high seat prospect I'd think.

If you start talking about 160 Hectare blocks, then, it's more likely to be a worthwhile.

Hmmm i would have thought 160 acre , quite a bit of woodland, especially to sit or stalk , on a warm day (like now ) it quite hard work tracking & wandering around. There are some good places to sit, if you a fisherman type hunter. its west coast

you will sell it to ten new stalkers at £1000 per space,

i am sure you see that i am been a little sarky.

i shoot a bit of land similar to what you have described less the red deer pop,
it is not sustainable as a syndicate land.

the reasons been apart from the small size versus amount of guys who shoot it and then deer rehabitation.... why would you possible attempt to sell such a piece of land to stalkers...

maybe the best first post would have been

what number do you expect to get on this acreage
what amount would you take

f,

over last 18 years stalking some of the best bits of ground iv had have been just wee blocks etc, iv a bit ground thats 100 acres on top of thousands of other acres & this year 99% of deer iv shot have been on smallest ground. its surrounded by big plantations so endless supply of deer.. the lay of the land could have 5-6 stalkers on safely at once shooting from hides/high seats

ok fair statement but dont you take into consideration whats actually on the land or is ££££s all you see..

f.

I think money talks a very clearly when someone fancies a bit of stalking. As a recreational stalker I never had a sniff at any leases because my offers weren't nearly rich enough. If a piece of ground has 2 or more species on it resident and not transient then it's got better value.

Size isn't everything, so my girlfriend tells me.....

Last edited:
You need to stand on the land have a good look around find out what is in the area, lots of bits down here only have some Roe, see whether the trees are closed canopy, ready for felling , just planted all these factors will have important input on what you decide will be the amount you are prepared to offer, also how deep your pocket is ie minimum wages or executive wages, disposable cash etc. how long it takes to get there, how offten can you go/visit.

My friend the list goes on and on.

Dry Powder.

Barry

Back