Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BDS South West Scotland Activity Day

BDS South West Scotland Activity Day

The SW scotland Branch of the BDS will hold an Activity Day at Glenharrow Estae on Sunday 24th October commencing at 0930. Marksmanship coaching, Gralloching, and carcass preparation, Best Practice Guidelines & professional butchery demonstration. For those aspiring to DSC Level 2 this is an opportunity to see the standard required and get hands-on. Frank Potter (retired professional butcher and stalker) will give a demonstration which will open your eyes, and get the taste buds into overdrive. Bring your rifle as a member of the GB Rifle Team will be available to offer advice and coaching on the range. Remember your FAC. BBQ will be running alongside the butchery demonstration. Numbers will be limited and attendance is by pre-registration only. The day is not limited to members and non members are most welcome to register. If you have any questions concerning your portfolio or the standard required there will be five or six Approved Witnesses in attendance who will readily supply the correct answers. We intend advertising this event via RFDs and National Press. Pre-booking only Cost 20. Cornharrow Estate is located on the north side of the B729 between Moniaive and Dalry. BDS signposts will be in position on the B729. Any questions please PM.

pm sent
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    pm sent also

Ladies and Gents.

There are two places left if anyone is thinking of attending. Attached please find details of the day.
    South West Scotland Branch
    Multi Activity Day
    Sunday 24th October 2010
    Cornharrow Estate
    Dalry, Dumfriesshire
    Gralloching, Deer Carcass Preparation, Organ and Glands Inspection
    This session is intended to be a 'hands on' opportunity for all stalkers and DSC Level 1 candidates and will cover the following:
    • gralloching
    • carcass preparation-removal of pluck, feet and head etc
    • inspection of the animal before shooting, after shooting, and during gralloching and carcass preparation
    • inspection of the lymph glands
    • skinning
    • DCS Best Practice Guides
    It will be particularly suitable for DCS Level 2 candidates prior to taking witnessed stalks. It will also provide training for Wild Game Meat Handling 'Trained Hunters'.

Marksmanship coaching.
    The range will be available to use throughout the day and a member of the GB F Class Rifle Team will be in attendance to offer coaching

Butchery Demonstration
    A professional butcher will demonstrate butchery and sausage/burger making. This demonstration is intended to demonstrate professional butchery techniques to enable efficient and maximum utilisation of the carcass. While this is not intended to fast track participants to professional butcher status it will give valuable pointers and techniques to enable best use to be made of the carcass.
    The 2 sessions of approximately 2 hours each will run simultaneously with a one hour lunch break at 1200.

Open to non-members of BDS.

Charge. To cover the larder and other expenses a 20 entrance fee will be charged which will also give entry to a raffle. The fee will be reduced to 10 if you bring a fresh carcass no more than 24 hours old (shot the day before or the morning), gralloched only and the gralloch contained in a bag, pluck in, head and feet on.

Hot drinks will be provided during the day and there will be a barbeque with veniburgers and soup for lunch. Although the events will be held under cover please bring warm clothing and weatherproof clothing in case of cold weather.

Pre Registration is essential as numbers will be limited.

Cornharrow Estate is located on the north side of the B729.

Spiker,

I have taken a cheque for 2 places.

Dalkur (Billy T)

Spiker,

Think its my cheque Dalkur is referining to, I also have 1 other who would like to come (I believe he spoke to you on the phone the other day)and as he has no cheque book has tasked me with sending you a cheque for him as well. I will send this at the begining of the week if you could reserve a place for him.

Many thanks

Stephen
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Hi RSWO
    Yes I can take a couple more as we are increasing the tutors on the day. I should have added that even if the weather goes t--s up everything apart from the range will be indoors. All are welcome to attend.

Spiker.