APO Is £400 really worth it.?

patrol01

Ok I’m looking for some new glass, I know that swarovski 8.5x42 EL have a great reputation and other manufacturers all have there virtues but I’m looking at Minox.
Whats on the table are the Minox hg 8.5x43 @ £600 and Minox APO hg 8.5x43 @ £1000.
I’m looking at 8.5 older version rather than newer 8x just cos its .5x more and a little les in price . They costs less cos its an old version strange but true, less is more.
Any way I know that the Minox hg 8.5x43 have had really good reports.
So the question is : Is a wooden box and the letters APO and the manufacturers blurb worth £400 in practical ,in the field mud muck and blood, difference between the Minox hg 8.5x43 and Minox APO hg 8.5x43.

Thanks In advance to all informative replies.

I think you might have answered your own question there.

If you're having doubts now, then go with the 8.5x43 HG, I had a pair that I bought when my Swaro 10x42 EL's were broken, to be honest, if I had them from the start, I would never have bought the Swarovski. Fantastic glass and smaller also.

Go with the HG's, cracking value for money and for quality, up there with the best/expensive brands.

TJ

Those minox seem to have a good reputation, i've never tried them personally but, the figures you are talking are around what you would pay for second hand or ex-demo swarovskis in VGC. Have you seen the volkswagon add.....'look, its almost like a golf...'? Do you want to spend the next 20 years saying...'Look, they're almost like swarovskis...'? My advice, if you've got £600-£1000 to spend on binos, buy once and buy the best...has to be swarovski. JC

ha ha thats a classic mate, i was going to post something but yours says it all!! :thumb:
Those minox seem to have a good reputation, i've never tried them personally but, the figures you are talking are around what you would pay for second hand or ex-demo swarovskis in VGC. Have you seen the volkswagon add.....'look, its almost like a golf...'? Do you want to spend the next 20 years saying...'Look, they're almost like swarovskis...'? My advice, if you've got £600-£1000 to spend on binos, buy once and buy the best...has to be swarovski. JC

Gents I appreciate the input , however As I said I’m looking for the monox not Sworo on my head be it I know.
Just A bit of info for any one else spoke to suppliers and there answer to APO or not was APO for bird watching will give greater colour, however For any hunting its not worth the £400.
Now remember I said price was £1000 for AP) and £600 fot HG well..
Just purchased some from US £337 for Minox hg 8.5x43 watch this space to

Hope you like them . Is the £337 inc import + Vat ?

As for £ 150 more than the HG you could have had shop soiled Swarovski SLC's from macleod's £ 750.

And in 10 years time you would still get what you paid for them ! Not that you would sell them .

What price would Minox go for in 10 years ?

Each to their own . And good shooting.

Last edited:
Back