Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: price for a deer??

price for a deer??

Im a complete newcomer to stalking. Im heading out with a guide in a couple of months for (hopefully) my first deer.

Out of pure topical interest though how much does a deer carcase fetch moneywise with a game dealer? I know species and at the same time size and weight has a bearing too but could you give me a rough guide???

Daniel

not current on carcass prices but on average your looking at 1 per lb larder weight
    scotty

depends on where you are mate
    been some long debates recently about deer prices
    think if you use the search facility you will be unindated with excellent info.
    you may even find a local dealer

atb f

Game dealer here is currently paying 2/kilo for roe and 1.80/kilo for red.
    You can reccon on an average adult roe buck(in my area) weighing in at 15 to 18 kilos and red stags ranging from wee knobbers at 30-40kilos up to a good 80 plus for mature animals, so you can work out the maths from there. Of course there is a lot of lattitude especially with red deer as habitat and geography play a huge part in determining body weight.
    Cheers.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    rite thats the last time i google . . ASK GEAVES im asking c,b,s aka frank.. what a helpfull chap he is.. expect to get paid 1 for 1lb mate
    Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    depends on where you are mate
    been some long debates recently about deer prices
    think if you use the search facility you will be unindated with excellent info.
    you may even find a local dealer

atb f

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Im a complete newcomer to stalking. Im heading out with a guide in a couple of months for (hopefully) my first deer.

Out of pure topical interest though how much does a deer carcase fetch moneywise with a game dealer? I know species and at the same time size and weight has a bearing too but could you give me a rough guide???

Daniel
    Daniel
    It may help if you say what you are looking to be stalking for and where abouts in the country
    ie species of deer and county
    as if you hav been told by the stalker that the venison can be purchased at game dealers prices, those prices can vary from dealer to dealer, also some stalkers work on a 1 a lbs or 15-20 a carcass if it's a munty
    might also be an idea when you are nearer the booking date just to give the stalker a call just to make sure all is still okay and just casually drop into the conversation about what it will cost you approx if you do get lucky
    good luck on your stalk as and when
    ATB

Hi Daniel,

The dealer i go to pays 1.10 per pound of larder weight for Roe and roe in my area area around the 40 lb mark (larder weight) so its around the 40 mark here in Hampshire.

Are you goung to butcher yourself as you will coem away with the venison still very much looking like a deer (skin on)

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for that guys. Im just thinking a bit here. Not about anything in particular. It seems though that if you can get your own stalking the sale of the venison would comfortably pay some way for the sport? Thats assuming you can shoot a dozen deer or so in a season i suppose.

P.S.
    1. Im in the south east.

2. Thanks for replying Stone. BTW I think we met each other in a curry house in uxbridge last year. you were about to go boar stalking in Poland with "buckup", sorry forgot real names here .
    Hows it hanging? (do not provide literal answer!)

3. Im stalking in late November for Fallow with Richard Whiltley from "Deerstalker". Id like to get out sooner but he's booked up during the rut and the only days he had available sooner im on duty

Daniel...
    Last edited by Dano; 04-08-2010 at 20:17.

Daniel
    Trust the guide. He'll not rip you off if he wants you back !
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple

2. Thanks for replying Stone. BTW I think we met each other in a curry house in uxbridge last year. you were about to go boar stalking in Poland with "buckup", sorry forgot real names here .
    Hows it hanging? (do not provide literal answer!)...
    I remember, very good night
    pleasure to of met you

Im stalking in late November for Fallow with Richard Whiltley from "Deerstalker". Id like to get out sooner but he's booked up during the rut and the only days he had available sooner im on duty

Daniel...
    You will do better in november as Does will also be in, so maximising your chances of a deer
    + you don't really want a rutting buck to stick in your own freezer anyway ,a good fat young doe will eat beautifully
    look forward to hearing a report in the future
    ATB