Rain and Roe

scrun63

Hiya All

I'm after picking some of those brains out there. You may have seen from my intro post that i'm new to this game. and need as much help as i can get.

I'm up to the Borders this weekend and after checking the weather see it's forecast rain rain and more rain. I gather that roe aren't daft either and dont like to stand out in the soaking wet. Now here's the rub. Anyone got any tips on how to maximise my chances of a shot. I'm on Forestry Commision type land with areas which are heavily wooded to open clear fell. Am I best stalking, high seating ( which will be drier, but i'd rather have a wet shot :oops: than a damp day) or what ? Any tips where to go and where they are likely to be. Any advice greatfully received and if they are conflicting i can try them all out and feed back the results because i'm there for the whole weekend :eek:)))

Thanks in anticipation

Scrun

Don't think there is ever any set pattern to it my mate drove around some land we have to see which fields had been harvested at midday before we went there the next morning and it was ****ing down he came across 2 separate bucks out and about plonker didn't take his rifle as he didn't expect to see anything went back early next day nice sunny morn and never saw one.I always tend to head for the woods if its damp probably for my benefit rather than the deers.
ATB Neil.

In my experience they certainly do not like it. I have seen them run for cover when rain starts and then come back out again when its blown over. So being on the ground when it is clearing up may work.

I was out yesterday morning was 11 degrees and pouring with rain, (West Scotland the land that summer forgot). I ended up sitting at the top of a ride with the wind blowing right into my face, as soon as the rain stopped a doe stepped out approx 70 yards in front of me, she slowly wandered into the middle of the ride and started feeding. 10 minutes later the rain came on again and she was off in a flash, had she had been a buck the rain would not have bothered him by then!!!

They certainly don't like wind and rain mixed together and will stay very tight to cover on these days, just the same as they will on cold windy days. We've shot plenty of nice bucks in heavy rain though, last August we had one of 122cic in very heavy rain one morning. He was feeding on the edge of a wood in some gamecrop, I've got a youtube video of it.

Cheers,
Mark.

Got to agree rain dont bother them on its own if its light drizzle but if there is wind and driving rain then its a no no. But you can increase your chnaces by keeping to the shelterd bits.To many people go and look over clear fells and wide open areas for deer but it is in the tighter places that roe will be found in bad weather.

As above. I adopt where would i like to be eg in the warm and dry, Nothing is cast in stone, but in general Deer dont like rain, i would have the attitude if you are out you stand a chance sitting in door's NO chance. Good luck

Scrun.
Rain and wind combined is uncomfortable for us and them. We go home, they go home into the sitka spruce. If its drizzle which we very rarely get here in SW Scotland they don't appear too bothered. Heavy rain and they are off. A really good time to be creeping about is when rain has just stopped and the sitka is soaking wet and large drops of rain are falling off the sitka. The deer often come out to play to avoid the large drops soaking them further.

If you have found clothing which is really waterproof then half the battle is solved.

hi,

i would contact jdoilman, he recently went stalking and it was wet and windy..
he should be able to advise what your likely to see from his first hand experience..

f.

Hiya All

I'm after picking some of those brains out there. You may have seen from my intro post that i'm new to this game. and need as much help as i can get.

I'm up to the Borders this weekend and after checking the weather see it's forecast rain rain and more rain. I gather that roe aren't daft either and dont like to stand out in the soaking wet. Now here's the rub. Anyone got any tips on how to maximise my chances of a shot. I'm on Forestry Commision type land with areas which are heavily wooded to open clear fell. Am I best stalking, high seating ( which will be drier, but i'd rather have a wet shot :oops: than a damp day) or what ? Any tips where to go and where they are likely to be. Any advice greatfully received and if they are conflicting i can try them all out and feed back the results because i'm there for the whole weekend :eek:)))

Thanks in anticipation

Scrun
If you dont mind me asking who and where are you stalking with?

garethw Has the summer really been that bad on the west coast of Scotland this year ? i was speaking to a friend of mine ,who said it been a wet one .I thought he was winding me up.

regards Chill

garethw Has the summer really been that bad on the west coast of Scotland this year ? i was speaking to a friend of mine ,who said it been a wet one .I thought he was winding me up.

regards Chill

Yep, I've been home the last 4 weeks and its been in my opinion wet, cold and windy.

Thanks to all for their advice. Appreciated

I'm away early in the morn, but will let you know Tues. My wallet will definately be lighter, but lets hope my freezer is full

Andrew

Back