Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: scottish goat info

  1. #1

    scottish goat info

    hi peeps

    just looking for info

    basically i have always fancied a stalk for goat... i know we get em up here in scotland but ive no idea where.

    ive heard also that they are really smelly bar stewards
    is there any way of keeping a head without the "reek"?

    always fancied experimenting in the kitchen too with it ..but stories of the smell put me off so far

    also seeing as ive no idea and ive never shot anything other than roe ...and even then on my own ground....never paid for stalking but my grounds limited and im wondering what the going rates are ( ball park ) for a day at these "different" beasties

    basically guys any info would be good

    im in Angus area of scotland

    sauer

  2. #2
    sauer: There are wild goats several places on the west coast, also down in Galloway I think, the nearest to you that I know of are at Glen Artney part of Drummond Estates near Crieff, I have no idea of cost or availability sorry

    I did a cull job on them on a west coast island a good few years back and can say while the females are OK, the Billy's sure do stink, you can stalk them by smell.

    One shoot I go to has a head mounted in the beaters hut, been there at least 10 years its OK till they light the fire
    but once the hut warms up it starts stinking again.

    In the kitchen not brave enough to try it but when I was culling them the locals would take females but not males
    in fact I was unable to find a market for them at that time, though have been told since that some dealers have found
    that Indian restaurants want them.

    There was a market for skins , and if you can cure them yourself goat skin rugs fetch around 80 each

    Sorry I have rambled on a bit and its not really the info you are looking for, but I am sure somebody on here will have a bit more knowledge than me.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 04-08-2010 at 20:57. Reason: spelling

  3. #3
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,397
    I know that about twenty years ago they had them on the Dunira Estate near Comrie as I had my FAC varied to allow me to shoot them with my 357 Magnum Smith & Wesson revolver there.

    The estate was up for sale about a year ago so I do not know who succeeded the Gordon family who had it when I was went there. And I think that Gib Gall the stalker is long gone?

    As long as you do a full cape skin I would not think that there would actually be a problem with washing the head before it was sent off. Maybe whilst still attached to the beast?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I know that about twenty years ago they had them on the Dunira Estate near Comrie as I had my FAC varied to allow me to shoot them with my 357 Magnum Smith & Wesson revolver there.

    The estate was up for sale about a year ago so I do not know who succeeded the Gordon family who had it when I was went there. And I think that Gib Gall the stalker is long gone?

    As long as you do a full cape skin I would not think that there would actually be a problem with washing the head before it was sent off. Maybe whilst still attached to the beast?
    Yes you are right Dunira same goats as Glen Artney just across the road so as to speak, and yes Gib has gone lost touch with him he was up in Angus for a bit, but he has moved on.

  5. #5
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    hi peeps

    just looking for info

    basically i have always fancied a stalk for goat... i know we get em up here in scotland but ive no idea where.

    ive heard also that they are really smelly bar stewards
    is there any way of keeping a head without the "reek"?

    always fancied experimenting in the kitchen too with it ..but stories of the smell put me off so far

    also seeing as ive no idea and ive never shot anything other than roe ...and even then on my own ground....never paid for stalking but my grounds limited and im wondering what the going rates are ( ball park ) for a day at these "different" beasties

    basically guys any info would be good

    im in Angus area of scotland

    sauer
    Theres quite a large herd of them on an estate on the Western Side of Loch Ness dont know whose estate it is but there hundreds of the bleeding things, a few months ago i nearly ploughed into 1/2 doz of them .

  6. #6
    Regular Poster Jinga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N Oxfordshire and Edinburgh
    Posts
    499
    Try this place, awesome scenery and great stalker but a bit of a pain to get to. http://www.ardlussaestate.com/index.php?page=7 depends how 'into' the goats you are!

  7. #7
    Stalking goats.......

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    sauer: There are wild goats several places on the west coast, also down in Galloway I think
    Yip some in Galloway, try Forrest Estate on 01644 430128 as they have taken clients in the past? Oh, concur above, stick to females if your gona try eat one as trying to skin a mature Billy will make your lips curl, and you'll have to spend a week or two sleepzzzzzzzzzzzzzin the garage!!
    "No matter how much you do.....there's always plenty more!"

  9. #9
    Let us know if you are still looking, there are plenty about, i shot all of mine , the damage and threat on the road was just getting too much, not sure on price, it shouldn't be much.

    I saw heaps on Mull last week down ar Carsaig.

    Gamedealers will take them, and they go directly to the ethnic market[ can I say that?]

    We've bbq'd young ones in the past and they were Ok, with billies I've tried putting them in middens and hoodie cages, nothin will eat them

  10. #10
    There are a few herds straddling the border between Northumberland and Roxburghshire. They are a very interesting population that was originally brought over by the Romans in I think 400AD. They dont stink,are challanging to get up to as they are always above you and have very keen eyesight, make very striking taxidermy trophies and thanks to Fab2 who is an Italian chef are excellent to eat. One amazing fact is that they have not converted to local breeding cycle and have their kids in the middle of the worst of winter thinking they are still in the mediterranian. David

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Wild goat stalking in SW Scotland
    By bartzkingx in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 11:56
  2. Wild Mountain Goat from County Kerry
    By Chris Rob in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-07-2010, 10:35
  3. Wild Mountain Goat - comes home
    By Chris Rob in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 26-07-2010, 01:07
  4. Muntjac and Goat Stalking
    By Sam in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 15:52
  5. crazy helicopter goat cull NZ shooter
    By Paul at Fechan in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-01-2010, 12:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •