Powder for 70 grain nosler ballistic tip .243

devon deer stalker

I have decided not to sell the above, i used Reloader 19 before and it worked out ok, but i am running out so i need to buy some more powder soon.
Is that powder choice ok?
I plan on using it for fox shooting.
Cheers
Richard

Richard im using 40.5 grains of varget with 70g nosler, cci bench rest primers for my fox loads.grouping 0.5 at 100 yards best group 0.234 at 100 well happy using a ruger precision

Check out the Reload Swiss powders - I'm using RS52 for my .308 RS50 in target rifle, and they seem to perform very well.

I think for .243 its RS60 or RS70?

if you can find some i use imr 8208 xbr .very accurate and consistent with low es,just bought another 500 70gr b/t as my rifle likes them and so far every thing shot has died very quickl. you have made a good choice keeping the bullets.

The Nosler book is indicating Varget min 37 @ 3270 - 39 @ 3408 - 41*gr MAX @ 3546 all at 2.680 OAL is there most accurate load.

If you want something hotter RL17 (RS60) 44*gr @ 3506 & 46gr @ 3661 MAX.

Normal disclaimer applies, build up to the max loads and watch the OAL as this impacts the pressure.

I use 46grn of H414 with CCI Magnum primers.....proven in well over half a dozen different rifles in the last 15 years.

Ill look up up the nitty gritty if you're interested.

cheers

Fizz

+another varget
The Nosler book is indicating Varget min 37 @ 3270 - 39 @ 3408 - 41*gr MAX @ 3546 all at 2.680 OAL is there most accurate load.

If you want something hotter RL17 (RS60) 44*gr @ 3506 & 46gr @ 3661 MAX.

Normal disclaimer applies, build up to the max loads and watch the OAL as this impacts the pressure.

When I first started out I looked at the Nosler recommendations and most accurate load and it said 41g Vargent

I did that and got sub 0.5 grouping at 100m bench rest without neck crimping so I never botherd looking at other loads

243 Winchester Load Data - Nosler

ATB

My choice is Varget (ADI 2208 in Australia).
Good accuracy and reasonable velocity for the pressures.

Last edited:
So, thanks for all your advice, i went into my local shop with my list, top of the list was Varget, the reply was 'sorry none in stock, not sure when we will be getting any in, would you like me to place an order, if so £47 in advance please'so i hadn't bought any powder for some time, and i was shocked at the price, so i declined, after all i only want it to shoot fox.
So i looked at what i had and did a little research, Reloader 19 was not suitable, but IMR4350 had good reviews, long story short, 4 shots in a 1'' group at 100 yards 45.5 grains of powder, i wonder what it would be like on a roe deer?
Thanks for all your help chaps.
Cheers
Richard

I doubt It would ask for a second one
So, thanks for all your advice, i went into my local shop with my list, top of the list was Varget, the reply was 'sorry none in stock, not sure when we will be getting any in, would you like me to place an order, if so £47 in advance please'so i hadn't bought any powder for some time, and i was shocked at the price, so i declined, after all i only want it to shoot fox.
So i looked at what i had and did a little research, Reloader 19 was not suitable, but IMR4350 had good reviews, long story short, 4 shots in a 1'' group at 100 yards 45.5 grains of powder, i wonder what it would be like on a roe deer?
Cheers
Richard

Cheers
Richard

im not surprised about Varget, it seems to be too popular so never stays on the shelf long enough to find it.

im not surprised about Varget, it seems to be too popular so never stays on the shelf long enough to find it.
Open up a manual to almost any calibre, and Varget will be mentioned somewhere. It seems to be a very flexible powder.

Back