Open licence.

eddie

Would it be fair to suggest that there are stalking opportunities available, whereby the stalker/guide has an open licence on land which is not certified by the police. Would this then make it difficult for anyone with a licence with stipulations on, to stalk that land. What i am trying to get at, is that if i was planning to do a lot of guided stalks, would it be reasonable to apply for a variation for an open certificate on the grounds that not all stalking land will be certified by police. Thanks.

Eddie,

What they will do is state that you can shoot on any land when accompanied by a professional stalker.

Stan

what /who is class a a professional stalker any body holding a DCL1 or DCL2

what /who is class a a professional stalker any body holding a DCL1 or DCL2

No someone employed or selfemployed as a stalker, making his living from stalking, someone who stalks as a hobby may well be as experienced, but is not classed as a professional.

I came across this problem when I got my deer calibre. I asked the police to basically put on the certificate that I could use my rifle on unchecked land provided I was supervised by someone with an open ticket. The exact bit on the ticket says:

"The 308 rifle, sound moderator and ammuntion to which this certificate relates may also be used on other land for deer control and any other lawful quarry, under the direct supervision of a person who holds a firearm certifcate authorised for similar activity and who is the owner of the land or holds the shooting rights. "

I had a chap here that had a closed cert i just phone the old bill and told them i was taking him out on my ground they asked my cops to clear the ground. The cops up here just laughed and said all his ground is clear job done the chap was able to shoot his rifle on any of my ground.

When I applied for my cert I said the group stalked spacific grounds but also did deer manaagement on other areas for the forestry company. First cert was open.

I came across this problem when I got my deer calibre. I asked the police to basically put on the certificate that I could use my rifle on unchecked land provided I was supervised by someone with an open ticket. The exact bit on the ticket says:

"The 308 rifle, sound moderator and ammuntion to which this certificate relates may also be used on other land for deer control and any other lawful quarry, under the direct supervision of a person who holds a firearm certifcate authorised for similar activity and who is the owner of the land or holds the shooting rights. "

So what they are saying is that you could use your (restricted) firearm on land that is shot over by someone with the same restricted FAC provided they have the shooting rights!

What a load of crap. Did they actually understand what they had written?

they told me that i could only should on land that i have permission over and has been cleared by the chief ****stubble only. i said what if i get invited out stalking? they said i'd need to provide them with written permission from THE LANDOWNER and they would have to clear the land, so i said what if my mate said do you fancy coming out stalking in the morning? your telling me i've got to get his landowner to write to you and then you have got to go out and verify the land is suitable????:cuckoo: she said basically yes!! Jokers...

Regards, Jez.

Last edited:
IMO. I know its a progression thing to develop into a compident sportsman/ woman & stalker, wether rabbits, fox or deer. As an apprentiship if you like. In that order, from a powerful bottom end 22 c/f to a powerful ulta destructive 243 cal + .
Too many lads i chat to want 243's & 308's etc, Not really knowing the capabilaties or really what they do need (is it a ego thing ?? ) walk before you can run. But as your FLO suggests , if you have a need & proof, you can have, If not ......why bother ??
Most FLO's i deal with are in the know, dont underestimate them for there knowlege of our sport or understanding the tools we use ;) They have there reasons .

Im under the impression your variation is for your 1st stalking rifle , hence they presume lack of experience & use with the calibre you request , get the rifle , get the experience , get the ticket.

ATb

Jez,

You will find that you have "the standard condition".

If your invite is onto "cleared land" and your calibre is lower or equal to the "approval" then you can shoot on your own.

If your buddy can have "Open" and has range over land not "checked by local plod" then you get into clerical problems if challenged. Now if you are with him and he has a .375 H & H Magnum on an open and you comply with the "estate exemption" then you can shoot his rifle on Roe but not your .223.

The term Chief Constable applies to the jurisdiction of the land, not the issuing Force.

Stan

Jez,

If your invite is onto "cleared land" and your calibre is lower or equal to the "approval" then you can shoot on your own.

If your buddy can have "Open" and has range over land not "checked by local plod" then you get into clerical problems if challenged. Now if you are with him and he has a .375 H & H Magnum on an open and you comply with the "estate exemption" then you can shoot his rifle on Roe but not your .223.

The term Chief Constable applies to the jurisdiction of the land, not the issuing Force.

Stan

All true Stan, although it might be more than just 'clerical problems' that arise if in contravention of a condition - particularly a territorial one imposed on a novice stalker. And doesn't your Estate Rifle exemption outlined above just illustrate 100% what a farce it can all be?

Jez,

Stan

lower or equal too in what sense?
Calibre, ME, MV, barrel length, cost, shininess!?

Its a farce!
I with an open ticket can essentially walk onto land elsewhere in the country when invited and **** all over the chief constables recommendations if he has deemed it not suitable for whatever calibre takes my fancy that day.

I would love to see what criteria other than a wet finger in the air the Chief Constable or his authorised FLO uses to grade and assess land for a 243 but not a 6.5x55 or a 222 but not a 243 or whatever.

its balls and they know it

Back