Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500

Howa 1500

Hi everyone..........I bought myself a Howa 1500 a couple of months ago in .223 and have been unable to set it up to my liking.............Trigger far far to heavy, best group 1.5 inch / 100 yard.....Have tried Winchester, Sako and home loads. None shooting that great. Also not completely free floated.......

Its now with the Smith to be bedded and have a trigger job.........

Anyone else had issues with Howa?
    Last edited by Cadex; 23-08-2010 at 22:22.

Hi,

I purchased a S/H .243 stainless steel heavy varmit barrel one with a black stock. My shooting buddy took one look at it and seconded it.

Came back transformed. Had two stainless steel rods inserted in the forend and filled with bedding compound, action bedded, trigger sear honed, barell now fully free floated.

It is transformed and is capable of clover leaf gps at 100yds if I do my bit.

Its a lovely rifle, well made and fuctions v well, cannot fault them for the money.

D

Hi,

I have had one from new - about a year and a half. The trigger is not great - a bit of creep but not too heavy, and the accuracy is not terriffic - it'll do aout an inch or inch and a quarter - but good enough for daily use.

I have taken about 8090 deer with it so far - mostly roe with a few red and sika.

As said its great value - think it was 750 with mounts and a wildcat mod (from Mcleods in Tain - great shop)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    Hi everyone..........I bought myself a Howa 1500 a couple of months ago in .223 and have been unable to set it up to my liking.............Trigger far far to heavy, best group 1.5 inch / 100 yard.....Have tried Winchester, Sako and home loads. None shooting that great. Stock also not completely free floated.......

Its now with the Smith to be bedded and have a trigger job.........

Anyone else had issues with Howa?
    Howas triggers are not varmint grade by any means. Relpace it with a Timney and you'll be happy. My son as a heavy bareled .223 and his gun likes V-Mac 40 grain over 23 grains of 3031. Shoots very small groups. I would hold off on the bedding until you swap triggers. Bad triggers can make for very poor groups.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    Hi,
    I have had one from new - about a year and a half. The trigger is not great - a bit of creep but not too heavy, and the accuracy is not terriffic - it'll do aout an inch or inch and a quarter - but good enough for daily use.
    I have taken about 8090 deer with it so far - mostly roe with a few red and sika.
    As said its great value - think it was 750 with mounts and a wildcat mod (from Mcleods in Tain - great shop)
    WOW 8,090 Deer was that in a year or your whole lifetime
    I take it you really meant 80 - 90
    When they first arrived in this country they were retailing about 350 to 400 and I saw a few but not a bad one among them.
    From what I am hearing, now they have a foothold in the UK market, they seem to have gone up and probably being more 'mass produced' are getting a bit like the Remingtons used to be.

You are absolutely correct on that Ed.
    I bought a Howa when they first came into the country some 10-12 years ago and it was very well made with a trigger that could be adjusted much like the older Remingtons used to be.
    Had a look at one a couple of weeks ago, and whilst it still looked to be a strong action, the stock was a cheap Hogue one and the trigger was as good as a bent nail and a bit of wire.
    Can’t see the point in saving money to buy a cheap rifle only to then fork out another 175 for a trigger.
    585 for the Howa + 185 for a trigger = 760
    Why not just buy a Tikka T3 Hunter in the first place.
    G.M.

Howa's

Eddie

I will put my tin hat on-but I have never seen a good Howa yet buddy!

They are what they are & you get what you pay for with them, I have never owned one but know plenty of people that have & they struggle to get a good group with them.

Sorry, but this is my experiance of them.

If anyone has a good one then they have done whell, as most of them are a late friday afternoon build!

Regs Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lwcdart View Post
    Eddie
    I have never owned one ..............
    Sorry, but this is my experiance of them.
    If anyone has a good one then they have done whell, as most of them are a late friday afternoon build!
    Regs Lee
    And therein lies the problem Reg.
    G.M.

SD Regular
    For how long has 1.5" at 100 yards no longer been considered a "decent" enough group?

Well the Importers have done the advertising and got them into the main stream and have now whacked the price up. I would be surprised if they were not working on a 300% mark up now. Those glossy ads do cost mney you know.

The only Howa I know of is one seen at the club range sometimes and it certainly seems to shoot well.