Advanced Deer Management - Bankfoot

goathunter1

I've just signed up for the BDS Advanced Deer Management course to be held in Bankfoot in September. Rather handy for me. Seems a good opportunity to invest in oneself.
Sadly, as I write, I am imagining a number of negative comments, as that, unfortunately, is how this fine forum works.
May I say if you've got nothing positive to say, don't bother? This does not mean I am not encouraging feedback from others who have been on such courses.
In any case I am looking forward to the three days - with, apparently, exams each evening. The boot is on the other foot for me as I also deliver training and submit the candidates to exams each evening. Deep joy.
Good hunting.

I enjoyed it very much my only criticism ''which I told dave goffin at the end'' was that I wished I'd had the training booklet prior to attending as it's more diverse than I and many other students expected in regards to topics.
Best of luck
Jimmy

Can you give me a breakdown of the agenda so I can decide if it is relevant to me.

thanks

I enjoyed it very much my only criticism ''which I told dave goffin at the end'' was that I wished I'd had the training booklet prior to attending as it's more diverse than I and many other students expected in regards to topics.
Best of luck
Jimmy
From speaking to one of the instructors, I understand that when people were given the books in advance it resulted in the class swots talking over the instructors and disrupting the class when they knew the answers. The tutors therefore decided to keep the books back and only issue on the day. It does make it a very intense course though so don't think you will be living in the local bar every night unless you're brain of Britain.

Wills, I have only just signed up and have no idea what awaits me. Maybe nobody has except the training staff, unless, hopefully, they have listened to Jimmy Milnes comments and have sent out some stuff prior to the course commencing. I believe Dave Goffin has retired from BDS.
I must confess that I did another ADM course with Jelen which I much enjoyed and would not hesitate to recommend. Why am I doing another? Well, the courses are not all the same. Anyone, I suppose, could propose a course to Lantra and, if they thought it was robust enough, they could then offer it.
May I say that Jelen gave us loads of homework prior to the commencement of the course, all of which forced me to research twelve, as I recall, topics. Stressful but enjoyable. I thus arrived at the course in a better place than if I had just turned up.
BDS delivered another ADM further north a few years ago with quite a bit on red deer. Who am I to say, at this moment, what will happen in Bankfoot?

As you will see chaps, Dexter has come up with more info in the interim. I am amused that even the class swots supposed they knew all the answers. They must have been very confident human beings, but on this site there are many human beings like that.
Remember Mountbatten's words - "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and be proved to be so."

I too did the jelen course and found it invaluable..... and the training g manual you come away is still a good reference guide to look back on.

Extra knowledge is never a bad thing, and the guys on my course were from different walks of life and of varying degrees of intellect.....
Some of the content of the course may not have been classed as 'relevant ' to some of us..... for example the live capture aspect.... and deer farming.... but the course is designed to cover all aspects of deer management and to be honest it was all interesting stuff. I'm sure there are many people on this site who would find the above irrelevant to them..... so they may not feel the course is what they want so it would seem that asking is only reasonable.

If I could afford it I would also do the bds course..... because it's content would be different to that of the jelen one and no doubt I'd learn different things.... relevant or not.

Fair play to anyone who makes the effort to build on their knowledge .

Goathunter1.
It is a good course I completed mine in 2007 when it was five days with the Advanced Shooting Test.

Enjoy it and let us know how you get on.

Spiker.

Is anyone else coming to Bankfoot? My main reason for starting the thread was to make people aware of the opportunity. I want to ensure that there enough candidates to make it a goer.
You may well ask why I am writing instead of stalking at this hour. I have some equipment to collect in a while and the Scone Game Fair traffic may well prove a challenge.

From speaking to one of the instructors, I understand that when people were given the books in advance it resulted in the class swots talking over the instructors and disrupting the class when they knew the answers. The tutors therefore decided to keep the books back and only issue on the day. It does make it a very intense course though so don't think you will be living in the local bar every night unless you're brain of Britain.

Are books available outside of the course? I am always looking to build knowledge.

Is anyone else coming to Bankfoot? My main reason for starting the thread was to make people aware of the opportunity. I want to ensure that there enough candidates to make it a goer.
You may well ask why I am writing instead of stalking at this hour. I have some equipment to collect in a while and the Scone Game Fair traffic may well prove a challenge.

Thanks for posting this. I wouldn't have thought that I'd ever be interested in doing the course but had a look at the BDS link and and think that it would be worthwhile.

I have said this before on other threads in the past, but I found the ADM course the most enjoyable of the three (thinking DSC1, DSC2 and ADM here), specifically because (a) it is not a mandatory course for any reason so people are taking the course because they want to, and (b) it covers a lot more than just stalking.

Nico - I think the book being referred to is the manual that accompanies the course. It is not available elsewhere but if you'd like to borrow my copy and have a read through you'd be very welcome.

Back