Roe on the stubble.

mj robson

Here's a video from this morning,

We were out after a young cull buck or an old trophy buck. This one didn't fit the bill so he was left for another time.

Cheers,
Mark.

Brilliant footage!

He didn't want to be coaxed away from her by your squeaks though did he! I guess a 'doe in hand' is worth more than 'two behind the straw bale'! :lol:

Alex

Great video. Thanks for posting it online. The weather looked great too. They are good looking animals, good to see.

DC

video

Mark,

great video mate.
when will you take that fellow do you think.
is it later this year or will you see if he develops to a medal next year.

f.

Thanks guys, it certainly was a beautiful morning.

Rick, It was the clients camera, a Sony of some type, about 3 years old.

Choc, I tend to disagree with you a little on that one. I had this buck down as a youngster, probably a 2 year old. Now he has a reasonable 6 point head with good shape and longish front tines. In a few years it's quite possible he will be of medal class. I have shot medal class bucks from this place in the past and going by his shape he is the same line. Now you say she could go and get covered by another "more substantial" buck but that doesn't matter when it's a case of genetics. This 2 year old 6 pointer will pass on the same genes now as he will when he's a 6 year old medal class buck. The age and size of it's head doesn't alter its genetic potential. Of the young bucks I cull they are nearly all 2 or 4 point yearlings. We regularly get good 6 point yearlings in this area and they are all left to grow up, like this buck will be. I'm by no means an expert at this but it seems to be working for me so far.

Cheers,
Mark.

Good opinion Mark for me it is what is actual that counts you say he MIGHT make a medal class buck and that is true but he also MIGHT not if i have an infearior buck that is not the best that area normally has he will be removed at this timeif he is courting a doe so he cannot cover her. i would have let my guest shoot him in fact i would have asked him to. We dont have naturally good bucks were i am we need to work hard so there is no way guess work would come into it.;)

Choc,

I guess in a perfect world all the Does on the 12,000 acres I stalk would be paired with medal class bucks, I would be a rich man, and everything would smell of roses. :lol:

Mark your right if we could we would pair our deer with the best we have.You had that choice to remove one that might ! not have made the grade That would have given the doe a chance at getting sonthing beter. Alos this would have given your client a chance at a cull . It is all about opinions and if i see a doe with a young buck courting the choice has been made for me and he will be shot. The Quality bucks will be left with the does .You know what you are getting with them. This is only if your managment plan allows it.

Back