Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal bullet for Muntjac

Carl Gustaf

Ideal bullet for Muntjac

Fellow stalkers,
    Can you advise me on what you would consider the perfect bullet for Muntjac. Presently I am using a 120 grain BT in my 6.5x55 for Roe and Monty Munty.
    I would like to know if I can improve on this round. All shoots are within 60 metres, neck shots and I would prefer a little less meat damage. Although this is only secondary to a quick clean kill.
    Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Bradley

Re: Ideal bullet for Muntjac

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Gustaf
    Fellow stalkers,
    Can you advise me on what you would consider the perfect bullet for Muntjac. Presently I am using a 120 grain BT in my 6.5x55 for Roe and Monty Munty.
    I would like to know if I can improve on this round. All shoots are within 60 metres, neck shots and I would prefer a little less meat damage. Although this is only secondary to a quick clean kill.
    Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.
    Stop shooting Ballistic Tips for a start. The 160grRN makes a fine close quarter dense undergrowth deer killing round.

malcolm
    Any legal round will do as long as the bullet is in the right place and the deer is dead. Otherwise I fear we may have another round of ballistic Bull S---- about which round does what where and when, and my gun is better than yours?

Bradley
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    Any legal round will do as long as the bullet is in the right place and the deer is dead. Otherwise I fear we may have another round of ballistic Bull S---- about which round does what where and when, and my gun is better than yours?
    Malc

You have to agree that some calibre-bullet weights and designs just do the job better.

You could if you so wanted kill a big English woodland red stag with a .22 rf. But a .308 or 30-06 does a far better job of it.

malcolm
    Yeah, a 375HH 300 Grain federal solid that will stop it.

Sorry cant resist joining in the bull S---T about different calibres. We all know that a 243 100g nosler will kill a Munty, even a 222 will do it. But hit it with any calibre too far back and it will run off.

Bradley
    Yeah, a 375HH 300 Grain federal solid that will stop it.

Sorry cant resist joining in the bull S---T about different calibres. We all know that a 243 100g nosler will kill a Munty, even a 222 will do it. But hit it with any calibre too far back and it will run off.
    Now you're just being obtuse!

swampy

bullrt choice.

I would suggest a soft point bullet of 140 odd grains. It doesn't have to be pointed, a round nose will do the job as well as anything.

swampy

malcolm
    How about a 600 then? or maybe a 700, that shoudl floor it?

Obtuse Hmmm, maybe, but probably not as you do not really know me.

Bradley
    How about a 600 then? or maybe a 700, that shoudl floor it?

Obtuse Hmmm, maybe, but probably not as you do not really know me.
    Malc

What's to know?

We could always go for fatuous, if you don't like obtuse.

It would appear as if others don't hold to your view on the inappropriateness of this particular topic.

Carl Gustaf
    Thank you all, I think I will stick to the 120gr. I just thought that with the wealth of experience on this site, someone may have had a better idea.