Lightforce Scope Mounted Lamps

User00004

I am going to order either a 140 or a 170, (They retail anywhere from £55to £75 depending on what you order) that's not the problem, what I want to know is-

Do they come complete with a charger and battery pack OR are these an additional order on top of the Lamp?

Don't just want to order it then realise that I need to order the Battery and Charger.

I will be ordering online so I can't speak to a sales Rep to ask.

Cheers in advance.

TJ

i would think at that price there will be no battery and hav to purchase that seperately look on ebay for lamping kits , quite a lot of online stores on there

Hi TJ,

For that price it will be just the lamp, before you pick a 140/170 try and find someone with the lightforce predator kit, this is a complete kit that comes in a neat litle storage box. When using a scope mounted lamp i find that the smaller the lamp the better a the wind blowing on the lamp can make it very hard to hold the rifle still, I haven't seen a predator kit for sale but it's definately worth looking for one, they might not shine as far as a 170 but the battery lasts longer and they are a lot neater to carry.
Having said all that, I use a 170 on the 223 if i have to use a scope mount.
Ezzy.

for that price definately no battery. i have a lightforce 170 which is a great handheld lamp but i'm not sure how good it would be scope mounted, its pretty big! i have red filter which is probably better for bunnies than charlie (amber allows beam to shine further, and my lamp man has one of them, so we have best of both worlds.) i also have a cluson, which is a great little lamp when using no filter, but when you add filter it cuts it right down. i bought cluson scope adaptor but had to send it back as it wouldnt fit with my scope with warne rings on, the screws are on the top they got in the way. another thing with the lightforce filters is you need to tape the edges up so no light shines back and screws with your night vision. i,ve made an adaptor to plug the lf 170 into the cluson battery pack but the batterys not really up to the job of a 100w lamp, its only 7.2ah.

hope that helps. if your near west berks your more than welcome to come and try them out.

Just looking on their site, not to bad, what would you recommend?

http://www.cluson.co.uk/index.aspx

Too much choice.

I will be using it for bunny bashing with my .22 and Foxing with my .243, one extreme to the other.

The scope clamp thing, is that adjustable? Reason being, I have a 1" tube Bushnell on my .22 and a 34mm tube PM2 on my .243

Cheers
TJ

i hav been using clusons for years now but over the last few years the quality seems to hav gone a little wayward
from when they changed the filter attachments from a push fit to a flip lid good idea but easily broken and the light escapes out of the side a little tape solves that, the battery packs don't seem to hold their charge for aslong and we hav had 5 new chargers in the last 2 years but you can get other battery units that fit which hav a universal charger ,the lamps are still working fine, the scope mounts are actualy quite good but would recommend buying one fitting for each scope for the cost of them as swapping the light from one fitting to the other is quite quick and easy
just may need to look at at alternative batery packs
hope this helps in some way

I use the deben max pro tracer.
It comes with a stock mounted on/off switch and brightness control,battery pack and pouch,charger and 25mm mount.
I bought a 30mm mount to go on my .222 and a flip up red filter as extra's.
I paid £125 for the lot.
It's a good bit of kit.
Regards,
Gyr

TJ,

I use a scope-mounted 170, which I swap between a .22, a .223 and a shotgun. I don't find the wind a problem with the diameter of the lens affecting stability. I'd buy the Lightforce dimmer switch kit too. I ordered my lamp from Sportsman along with the separate (and crap) Cluson battery and charger.

My scope has a 30mm tube and the mount doesn't flex to allow a wider diameter. Perhaps Lightforce makes a separate mount for 34mm tubes.

I think there will be enough in the mount to ream some out, only 2mm around the diameter. I have stuck a wanted add in the Classifieds on here so I will see what if anything comes up. You never know.

Failing that, I will be buying at the weekend.

Cheers
TJ

I thought one of the basic safety rules was never to point a gun at something you do not intend shoot.

So unless I am missing something scope mounted lamps are inherently unsafe????

Mudman, I do tend to agree with you in theory. Unfortunately it is not always possible for people to lamp in pairs and if you are on your own, you have no option. I tend to lamp in the truck with a driver. It is always nice to be able to see what is there before puting the rifle on it.

When on my own lamping I use a scope mounted lamp, at the moment Deben Max Tracer.

But I also use a cluson torch with amber or red filter.

I use the Cluson Smartlite:

http://www.cluson.co.uk/productsMain.aspx?CI_ID=2

You can get push in filters for this.

So, rifle on the sling on my shoulder whilst I use the torch to spot the quary, once happy I then switch to rifle sight and scope mounted lamp to take the shot.

Safe and easy.

Jerry

When lamping on my own I do as Jerry does,spot charlies with hand held lamp then switch to rifle mounted lamp.All other times I have a lamp man.
All the best,
Gyr

Battery pack

You can easily make a battery pack all up for £20 ish get a Burgler alarm battery back up battery 12V 7Ah £15 ish buy a cigar lighter socket from a scraper or pay a few quid from a car accessory shop and put an inline fuse in. It wont take you 20 mins once you have the parts.

Dave

Re: Battery pack

devilishdave said:
You can easily make a battery pack all up for £20 ish get a Burgler alarm battery back up battery 12V 7Ah £15 ish buy a cigar lighter socket from a scraper or pay a few quid from a car accessory shop and put an inline fuse in. It wont take you 20 mins once you have the parts.

Dave
cracking idea , so simple too
they should easily be recharged on a standard 12 v car battery charger i would guess
what size fuse will i need ?

cheers dave
i was thinking along the lines of a 20 amp fuse after the problems i had rigging up a car light as a lamp with the fuses blowing
that could save me a fortune as 20 amp fuse might not of blown before the bulb, since a fuse is about 15p and a bulb a fiver
many thanks
stone

Good idea Dave, I have access to plenty of burglar alarm batteries. A chap I know who services alarms, changes the batteries as a matter of course, even though there may be nothing wrong with them. I can have them for free so if anyone wants some and are going to quex, I will bring some along.
Let me know. If you are not going to Quex, I could probably send some out for £10 overnight.
I have blown 10 amp fuses regularly so I now use 20 amp. Funnily enough, I have done away with the cigarette lighter socket as I kept burning it out. I have wired a 3 pin socket straight to the battery with a 20 amp inline fuse. Put a 3 pin plug on the lamp and sorted!! Plugs in under the dashboard.

Back