BASC, HIGH PRICE FOR INSURANCE.

TONY M

I`ve just received notification of my direct debit payment to BASC, for the sum of £62. Not a large sum in the grand scheme of things but, I do feel like a little chappie, paying an excessive premium which tends to oil the lifestyle of those "considerably richer than I am".

My little rough shoot is, just that.
My little piece of stalking is, just that too.
The land is not my own, it is not big enough or important enough or worth the effort of any of BASC`s land usage schemes. And I, for some reason,
have never, ever been invited in for drinkies or cheese and pineapple stick things and therefore mingle with the funny talking and unusually dressed BASC hierarchy, at any of the game fairs.

So, I am in BASC for the insurance, and BASC membership is compulsory where I am taking my DSC1 next month.
But I do feel a rebellion coming on and surely there`s cheaper insurance out there.TONY M.

I'm with you on this one Tony M. If it wasn't for the insurance I'd ditch BASC. Both the wife and I have our shooting insurance with them but feel that I wouldn't be too welcome at those offical 'cock and arse' parties as we used to call them in the RN.

I too am looking for cheaper insurance. :evil:

hi tony
i am afraid this is only going to rise in price but so has the the amount of cover you recieve,
i am in both organisations not sure why as either one is as good as the other in one way or another , but they do need membership to survive
there are lots of other organisations out there you could try, can't tell you the best one ,but sure there will be good points and bad about them all
all you can do is compare prices , level of cover and then listen to any comments from others that are in these other organisations and go from there , i have heard the NGO is getting a good following and one to look at
take care my friend
good luck with your DSC1

I missed out on that one! Good luck with your DSC 1 Tony M. Just remember 'mirror, signal, manouvre, shoot'! ;)

Thank you both, really looking forward to it. :D
learning so much already, but of course I now realise how little I knew to start with :oops: TONY M :D

im in the national gamekeepers organisation and you get the same ammount of cover and its £30 a year so its happy days,and you are always made welcome in to the stand for a cuppa at the gamefairs.i would not entertain basc again.

I am with BASC but have never been sure why? Insurance has been cheaper with other organisations for a long time now.

As a matter of interest, if you are a member of two organisations who both offer insurance, what happens if the worst happens and there is cause for a claim. Who pays out. In other walks of life, many insurance companies cover you providing you are not covered by another company. How does it work? Anyone know?

hi andy
i am with both basc and bds
both policies cover you for most events but their wording is slightly different and cover is also slightly different but basc does cover you for almost everthing even worldwide, where as there are afew grey areas with the bds regarding game shooting and abroad that is changing all the time for the better (bds are only for deer so good for them to think beyond that)
basc seem to uphold thier part of the bargain no matter how many other organisations you may be a member of
never had to call on the bds but would hope they would do the same aslong as your claim is legit and only claiming through them then again they are just an organisation and zurich is the insurance company they use maybe i need to dig a little deeper into this for my own sake

I believe BASC is the only one to give you cover world wide.
I mentioned this aspect to the NGO last year and was told they are looking at but need to keep premiums down so may not take it up.
Don't know about BDS or SAGBI.

I thought it was well recognised that the BASC Firearms team was the best there was. Surely it can't always be about insurance.

Well lads, I have been with WAGBI/BASC since 1964 as at that time there was no insurance with BDS which I joined about the same time.
I have always found them helpful when I have needed advice, recently I requested info. regarding shooting off the side of the highway onto my permissions. [Carrion Crows.]
I received documents proving I could do so and now this paperwork lives in my motor to be shown to the first smart-arse who gives me hassle.

With regard to the BASC sub. stated as £62, that works out at £1.19 pence per week, hardly a Bank breaking sum.

As a veteran wrinkly I`m sure I pay less !

HWH.

I was in WAGBI and transferred my membership when WAGBI was supceded by the BASC.

One thing that has changed with the BASC is that they now do not automatically leap to your aid if you are in dispute with the law over your FAC. They will now not guaranteee to take your case up but will pick and choose, presumably based on a cost benefit analysis - i.e. they won't chase what they see as lost causes.

I haven't been particularly happy with BASC policy for a few years and it's only that my stalking agent requires membership as a requirement for unaccompanied stalking keeps me in it.

As others have already responded Tony, I will just add that I dumped BASC about 6 years ago. They are ripping the ring out of it. Join the National Gamekeepers Association, £25 and the same insurance, and your money helps Gamekeepers, not a bunch of toffy nose ****s, who quite honestly after the problems I had with them over Level 2 I would not pee on if they were on fire :eek:

I am also in the BDS, and support them fully as they are a registered charity.

im with you on that one sikamalc,ngo is now £30 and the insurance is upto 10 million with the nfu.

Hi all,

Very glad i read this post, I was a BASC member for over 10 years but i telephoned the advice line a couple of times and the impression i got was that they wanted an argument.
after a couple of years of not being a member i was thinking of joining at the midland gamefair but i think perhaps the NGO will get a go instead.

Ezzy

As already mentioned in my original post, the cost to me is not an issue,
although I am not a rich man, neither am I a poor man, but, it is not too many years ago that I was absolutely skint.
Poorly paid profession, mortgage, house full of little rug rats that eat ferociously and they grew faster than clothes could be bought!

You then add to this normal household the absolutely irrevocable fact
that in this country, we pay through the nose for everything, and god save you if you do any of the following "shooting (clay / game / rough)
trout or salmon fishing, stalking) for indeed if you do any of these you are generally viewed as a walking cash dispenser by the majority of manufacturers, retailers and purveyers of shooting and fishing rights and or equipment. Their policy seems to be, think of a price, double it, then add some!

The point of all that is twofold; not everyone can afford the BASC fee! and some will not bother to get insured, and who might be the loser then?

I fully understand that BASC is more than just an insurance ticket, and their representations to goverment, councils, police, etc are to their credit.
BUT, I have also mixed with all of these great and reverential institutions,
and do NOT kid yourself, there ARE harder jobs!!

We must remember, It is the guy with shooting permission walking around a hundred acre farm maybe with a mate, thinking to himself "I`m so bloody lucky to have this",who is paying for all the pomp and the ceremony that BASC hierarchy enjoy.

I apologize if this ramble has upset any of the good guys out there, it
is not aimed at you :) there are good and genuine people in every walk of life.
To the bad and indifferent out there; I think you know :evil:

Thanks sikamalc I`m heading that way next year but I have to keep BASC
for my dsc1 (compulsory) next month :( TONY M

Hi Tony. Good luck with your Level 1. Many of the issues I and two other friends of mine had with BASC, is the total lack of co ordination when it came to Level2. It is a money making scam, and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.

However I personally think that both Level 1 and 2 are in general a reasonable idea. Unfortunatly there was always going to be people who try to make money out of it. BASC being one of them.

I have no issue with this apart from the fact that in the beggining there were a great many cock ups when Level 2 was taken. These appear to have been erradicated, but it left a nasty taste in the mouth for us three, and I do believe that BASC are outpricing the membership and making it impossible for younger members and members on low income or families to support to afford it.

This is my opinion, and I know there are a great many who will disagree. So be it, but it would not change my mind. The NGO are a far better bet when it comes to insurance IMHO.

Back